1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question For The Electronics Geeks

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by dohcvtec_accord, Feb 20, 2003.

1. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Alright, I trust you guys, and my electronics knowledge is somewhat limited, so....

I went over to my friend Nicole's house last night for her birthday, and her parents had bought her a Sony Dream Home Theater system as a combo birthday/Christmas present. I was blown away by this thing. She got the DAV-C770 system, which looks like it's the midline model.

Anyway, it looks to be in my price range, and I fell in love with the thing. It would replace my need to get a PS2 (since I'd be mostly buying a PS2 for the DVD capabilities) and some sort of music system for my new place. So my question is, what do any of you know about it or any of the other home theater systems? I'm impressed for the price and the quality of sound. Plus, I can get it on cnet.com for $150 less than Soundtrack/Bestbuy wants for it.

My price range is $300-$550. Any input or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

the sony one is pretty good. We have a panosinic one that is pretty good and was cheaper than the sony model. It has 5 disc changer. Not sure on the wattage on the speakers but for DVDs, it sounds great and it makes so much of a diffrance when comparing it to the Old VHS players.

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Are you looking to get the whole system for that price?My recommendation on home audio components is Yamaha.I've had it in my house since I was a kid,as a matter of fact my mom still use the one my dad bought when I was born over thiry one years ago.My experiance with Pioneer,JCV and Sony is they are cheaply made shit,as I have had a couple and they all have broke.The Yamaha receiver I use now I've had for a few years and it has done nothing but rock.For surround I like JBL,they are inexpensive,small and sound very good.

4. Rabinzero

Rabinzero Senior Member

Yamaha is a great home theater system to go with, BUT they are pretty expensive. Pioneer Elite series receivers are priced fair ($550) and you get a load of good features. I would go with a Pioneer Elite series receiver and yamaha speakers. A Yamaha sub sounds awesome!!!

5. Domeskilla

Domeskilla Senior Member

That sony one is a really nice sounding setup. A friend of mine has it. I bought the Denon DHT-700DV and i'm absolutely in love with it, but it was 1000.

If you want to piece a setup together or something..Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Denon are probably the top ones. Pioneer and Sony are good ones also.

As for speakers, cant beat the Bose or Infinity.

I had the Panasonic SC-HT95 acouple of months ago (got the Denon for Christmas) and was satisfied, but I heard the Sony DAV-C770 and IMO, it was cleaner and louder.

Its electronics, you get what you pay for. :)

6. xj0hnx

Bose ownz for mains,but the surrounds are too expensive.The Yamaha's are a little pricey,but the only difference i the low end and the high end is the amount of functions it can perform as opposed to the difference between a pioneer gold and the cheaper ones being overall quality and constrution.

7. BlackJDMdeath

BlackJDMdeath Senior Member

domesk... you named some nice ones but my favorite for the past year has been my parents setup, Nakamichi and Jamo ::drools:: oh lordy lordy!

8. xj0hnx

Nakamichi is good stuff,not a fan of the styling,but it is quality stuff,the price tag reflects that well haha.

9. gupta_p

gupta_p Senior Member

Careffull, you better post fast. pissedofsol will come and lock the topic before you even know it!

NNOO, THIS THREAD IS RICE TALK!! NOT ENGINE SWAP TALK!! ;)

10. xj0hnx

What the hell are you talking about?

11. Domeskilla

Domeskilla Senior Member

B loves to lock thread lately. Like the thread on the chicks he locked and called this clubsi. I think he was mad ppl were hating on his whack off pics :p

12. gupta_p

gupta_p Senior Member

Tru. You said it for me. (I'm j/k btw, lol.)

13. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Bose = overpriced, old technology, overhyped....

Nakamichi = good stuff

Sony Dream Home Theater (or whatever it was) = really good for the money. I have a good number of audiophile friends that use one of these as a secondary system in a bedroom or someplace else in the house- and these are guys that have unlimited funds for their stereo setups. I was pretty impressed with how they performed for the cash!

14. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

They are ok systems and have decent sound. They are not reliable. I used to sell them at my old job. We would have like 50 of the open box like once a month when we got all the broken ones people returned back from service. I would go with the Panasonic one. I think that they sound better and they are more reliable.
    If I were you I would get a decent receiver, (like an Onkyo 300 bycks will get you a very good receiver), then buy two good front speakers, then save up a little more get the rest of the speakers (or buy a speaker package for like 200-300), then get your dvd player. Buy seperate components because you will have more room to add on to it in the future, you can get better components, and it will sound a lot better. If you have a combination unit you are fucked if say the dvd player goes. I sold this stuff for 3 years in college, so I have seen it all.

15. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I agree with you 100% Jeff! No all-in-one system for me...

16. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I'll start looking into buying components.

17. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

VSX-D811S
    Digital A/V Receiver
    6.1-channel Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES (also handles 5.1 Dolby Digital)
    100 watts x 2 (stereo) and a full 100 watts x 6 (surround), with pre-amp output for all channels.
    Dual Surround Back terminals for 7.1 speaker set-up and 7.1-channel inputs
    component video switching (2 inputs/1 output)
    5 digital inputs/1 digital output (optical)
    M.S.R.P. $475

I picked it up for $299 a few months ago. It's a kick ass AV unit. Great for a 5.1 channel surround if your on a budget. and you can expand to a
    7.1 surround system when you've got some more cash for the speakers. It's also HDTV compatible. so when you get your HDTV you'll still be able to use the unit. IMHO since I just finished searching for these things, this AV unit has the best options for the best price.

I love it, and have had great compliments about the sound from friends.

18. Hexen

Hexen Senior Member

My system in progess is somewhat the same.. set up for my PC.

I have 5.1 surround right now with Cambridge Soundworks speakers on a SB Live! Platinum.

I own a Hercules Fortissimo 3 (7.1 card) and I'm just waiting for them to release thier 7.1 speakers.
    Combine that with a 36" Zenith HDTV coming out of my GEForce 3 and it's killer.

36" monitor which looks like a LCD with 7.1 surround? Come on now, does it get much better for gaming?

19. BlackJDMdeath

BlackJDMdeath Senior Member

20. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

dude, i'm coming to your house to play counterstrike :D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted