Question on Price of Install.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LudeBoy

Slave to the EF
I just had Toykio Blues with some generic adj. coil overs put on. I also requested a 4 wheel alignment. He Charged me 4.5 hrs of labor @ $65 an hr. He also Charged $79 for the Alignment. This seems really high to me... Total came out to be $372.45 This was on a 91 civic hatch dx.

i think paying anything for the shocks and coilovers is to much. i took me to do coilovers on my crx 2hrs and i am not a tech like im sure he was. you schould have just asked one of your friends to help you. its not very hard.

I agree that it does seem like quite a lot

perhaps he did an extra special alignment?

i know its nearly impossible to do a proper alignment with coilovers, so maybe thats why he charged you extra...
shouldn;t have taken 4.5 hours just to change those things though... unless your car was rusted like a motherfucker and all sorts of shit snapped and broke

sounds like you got raped

The only reason I didnt attempt the install myself is because I have absolutly no time at all. I am working 50 + hrs a week and my weekends are booked. It looked like a lot of the bolts were rusted. As far as the alignment goes he said that he charges extra $ for low riders. Oh well, Its done and paid for now. Next time I will definatly buy a matched set of springs. Or at least a name brand. The car rides like an empty box truck. The rear end bounces on every little bump.

CHANGE YOUR REAR SHOCKS/STRUTS TO AVOID THE BOUNCY-NESS

you may need ot get special shocks/struts if your car is very low cause stock ones will be out of their normal operating range and they will take a shit very fast

Yeah no shit. I am gonna be driving this thing to work and back everyday which is about a 35-40 min each way. Hopefully when I put my subs in it wont bounce as much.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 15 2004, 03:14 PM

you may need ot get special shocks/struts if your car is very low cause stock ones will be out of their normal operating range and they will take a shit very fast

They are brand new Toykio Blues. Not very low about a 1.75 - 2 in drop.

unless the place is an import shop(tuning shop) they usually get pissed off that the cars lowered for the alignment, they guy flipped shit when I told him my car was lowered and I didnt have a camber kit...charged me an extra 20 bucks after I bought a camber kit.

Originally posted by LudeBoy+Apr 15 2004, 09:20 PM-->
reckedracing
@Apr 15 2004, 03:14 PM

They are brand new Toykio Blues. Not very low about a 1.75 - 2 in drop.

But the Tokico Blues are not really a sport shock, they're not stiff enough. And since they aren't adjustable you're pretty much stuck with the ride quality. And also if they are just so so no name coilovers, the rates are probably not matched and have crappy springs.

And that's bullshit about charging more for lowered vehicles, an alignment is the same unless it is WAY slammed, and you have camber kits that need adjusting to. Here in Germany you could call the police on em for it :)

my car is lowered 2 inches. they said because of the camber kit it took them longer to adjust it, and they said it was really out a wack(which it was, i didnt really feel too safe driving it to the place) oh well, only 20 bucks...could of used it for gas...

$150 in billings montana to get everything you had done, done right here, tax free.

Live and Learn. Wont be goin to that guy again. The springs seem to be losing some of the initial bouncyness. Hopefully they will settle a little bit more!

montana is also like 2000 miles away from here....Im in jersey, everything is more expensive here. I usually do my own installs, but 60 bucks was the cheapest within 50 miles of my house. I have to get another soon, I got new shocks and Im ordering a new camber kit, because the progress kit SUCKS! It only allows for 2 levels of adjustment- 1 from 1 inch to 1.5 inch drop, and one from 1.5 inch to 2.5 inch.(good accuracy there right?) Im looking at an ingalls kit.

Back