Questions Bout B20

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpOoN EK9

Alright i was wondering about compression on some pistons i was thinking about purchasing. The compression ratio is 12:1. Is this a good ratio for 92 octane? And for the crank, someone said 87mm would be best because less torque would be better. Is that true because i was reading through one of the articles in here about getting a 95mm crank for the best results.

Originally posted by SpOoN EK9@Sep 18 2004, 02:49 PM
Alright i was wondering about compression on some pistons i was thinking about purchasing. The compression ratio is 12:1. Is this a good ratio for 92 octane? And for the crank, someone said 87mm would be best because less torque would be better. Is that true because i was reading through one of the articles in here about getting a 95mm crank for the best results.
[post=391945]Quoted post[/post]​

:nobreed:

If you want less torque to be better, usually it's because you're not able to get traction down low... and then you need to work on the chassis and suspension to make sure you grip rather than cutting the torque on the engine- especially for all motor applications. Maybe if you're overpowering the car from an aggressive turbo build- but there's no reason why you can't make an aggressive all motor setup hook up on the street. Mine does.

Don't cut the torque down- more torque = more power with fewer revs.

12:1 compression will run on 92 octane. Just tune it correctly.

Very amusing comment but you know the funny thing about this is this part of the forum is sponsored by IMPORT BUILERS. The same people who told me that a 87mm Crank would be better and here is the direct answer i got from them:

Is a 89mm crank sufficiant enough because i was told a 95mm would be better? No, 87 wouldbe best, but 89 is second best, you want less torque, not more.

And as for the the 95mm reference i made it was wrote up by pissedoffsol and here's his part:

B20VTEC block WILD: (900)
GOLDEN EAGLE 86MM SLEEVES (1000)
Custom 12.5/13.0 Pistons (500)
95 mm Crank (800???)
Deck Plate (machine shop cost)

It really all depends on what you're looking for. I have the suspension to make a high compression high torque all motor engine hook up in first gear, and honestly- not that many people do. I like a deep broad power curve down low, and I'm used to driving it. If you want to run a high revving high RPM launch drag car, then yes- you might want to build an engine with less low end torque. You could launch at close to redline, then power through your rev range from 7000-10000 and never look back while you smoke everyone at the drag strip. That's not the type of power curve that I like to drive on the road course.

If you want a truly "wild" all motor build, then yes an 86x95mm B series block is an awesome setup. It might be a little touchy to launch on the drag strip compared to the 87mm stroke engine, but it really all depends on what your car is capable of handling, and what kind of power curve you like to drive with.

Both builds can be very potent, and both are good at different things. There's no one correct way to build an engine- it all depends on the application and the driver's preference.

Calesta you are always so nice... :p

To quote the famous owner of this website...

"There are 43214532789 ways to make torque, there is only one way to make horsepower - RPMs"

Sorry to be a jerk spoon ek9 but less torque is never better in my opinion. Get some slicks and your set.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Sep 19 2004, 11:25 AM
Calesta you are always so nice... :p
[post=392170]Quoted post[/post]​

Tell that to all the people I've bitched out and banned. :calban: :lmao:

Back