questions questions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

parke10

n00b Member
first off i hope this is the right place.. if not sorry feel free 2 punch me

but what year should i look for ina hatchback civic and what model i found a 1995 VX and a 93 DX

but am i better off with a certain model and year to do a CA street legal swap also does

manual or auto matter and should it be under a certain amount of miles?

sorry for the stupid questions and thank in advance to anyone who helps

Quoted post[/post]]
first off i hope this is the right place.. if not sorry feel free 2 punch me

but what year should i look for ina hatchback civic and what model i found a 1995 VX and a 93 DX

but am i better off with a certain model and year to do a CA street legal swap also does

manual or auto matter and should it be under a certain amount of miles?

sorry for the stupid questions and thank in advance to anyone who helps

Ummm.... yea, I guess I got some free time.

As far as the hatchback model it really depends what you plan on doing, and what your preference of body styles is. The 88-91 are the boxier ones and the 92 and ups are the more round ones, or bubble hatches as you'll see. Also keep in mind that the 92-95 civics you can just bolt in a B-series motor, so if thats what you want thats what you need to get.

As far as a cali-legal swap, I dono, I live in NC and the inspection guys dont care if I have a blown 350 in my honda as long as the sniffer says its clean.

Having the car already manual if you are swapping in a manual will make things easier. Same goes for the automatic, that is purely driving preference. Also if you are swapping in a vtec motor the VX hatch comes prewired for vtec (right?), so it will save some time.

If you are planning on pulling the motor right off the bat I would just look around for a good shell and save some time and money.

Look in the reference section for a list of the chassis weights of all the various hatches and go ahead and decide more about what it is you actually want to do with the car.

wow thanks for the quick reply and all the helpful info, i like 92-95 model better i just didnt know if there was a year 2 year difference,also i perfer a manual and 99% sure itll b a vtec engine as for what i want... something along the lines of a sleeper,i want it pretty damn quick but not have 2 worry about it not starting in the morning if i need to use it as a daily driver for some reason , dont think i will but ya never know wut the future brings

o as fer my meaning of quick ...very high 13's/low 14's id perfer faster but idk wut i can get outta it.

The VX tends to be the chassis of choice because it's already wired for VTEC, plus it's usually the lightest (or next to lightest) of all the EG hatches. If it still has the stock wheels on it, that's a bonus- the stock 13 inch alloys only weigh 9 pounds each!

If you're aiming for high 13s / low 14s, you can get there with pretty much just a GSR or ITR swap, some good traction, and good driving. You can do it and still be totally street legal in California.

Quoted post[/post]]
The VX tends to be the chassis of choice because it's already wired for VTEC, plus it's usually the lightest (or next to lightest) of all the EG hatches. If it still has the stock wheels on it, that's a bonus- the stock 13 inch alloys only weigh 9 pounds each!

If you're aiming for high 13s / low 14s, you can get there with pretty much just a GSR or ITR swap, some good traction, and good driving. You can do it and still be totally street legal in California.

so would this be good??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Civic...636039811QQrdZ1

::edit:: also wuts the stock engine ,i wanna say d16y8 but im almost 100% sure im wrong on that.

for an ex and si it a D16z6 (125HP)
for a vx its a D15z1 (92HP)
for a cx its a D16b8 (70HP)
for a dx and lx its a D15b7 (102 HP)

The engines Mike (Calesta) was talking about are as follows:

B18c1 (GSR, aka a blacktop B18c if you get it JDM) Can be found in a 1994-2001 Acura Integra GSR. It makes 170 HP.

B18c5 (ITR, aka a red top B18c if you get it JDM) can be found in a 1997-2001 Acura Integra Type-R. OBD2 (meaning harsh emission standards) only. Makes 195HP. NONE of which are legal for you in california.

I think the B16a3 (or just B16a if you get it jdm...make sure to get one that is OBD1) is your best bet for your car in cali. I think you have to have something that is either newer or the same year as your car and an optional engine. (or something like that, i know we have a member that is trying to get his B16 legal...just having sniffer probs) So in the end, if you get a hatch, go with a B16. It still makes a 160 HP and is plenty of fun (even if it is the torqueless wonder)

D16Y8 was the engine for the 1996-2000 Honda Civic EX.

All these great pieces of information and more can be found in our REFERENCE SECTION :)

Quoted post[/post]]
for an ex and si it a D16z6 (125HP)
for a vx its a D15z1 (92HP)
for a cx its a D16b8 (70HP)
for a dx and lx its a D15b7 (102 HP)

The engines Mike (Calesta) was talking about are as follows:

B18c1 (GSR, aka a blacktop B18c if you get it JDM) Can be found in a 1994-2001 Acura Integra GSR. It makes 170 HP.

B18c5 (ITR, aka a red top B18c if you get it JDM) can be found in a 1997-2001 Acura Integra Type-R. OBD2 (meaning harsh emission standards) only. Makes 195HP. NONE of which are legal for you in california.

I think the B16a3 (or just B16a if you get it jdm...make sure to get one that is OBD1) is your best bet for your car in cali. I think you have to have something that is either newer or the same year as your car and an optional engine. (or something like that, i know we have a member that is trying to get his B16 legal...just having sniffer probs) So in the end, if you get a hatch, go with a B16. It still makes a 160 HP and is plenty of fun (even if it is the torqueless wonder)

D16Y8 was the engine for the 1996-2000 Honda Civic EX.

All these great pieces of information and more can be found in our REFERENCE SECTION :)

Thanks fer the info they musta changed some rules or its different fer trucks because my dad put a v8 in his s-10 a few years back and it passed at the bar because it was chevy and 2 years newer even tho it wasnt an opt engine

and i have a friend with an h22 in his accord ill havta ask him about that

hmmm coulda sworn it was optional only, but it might just be same maker, same year or newer.

Back