Question's regarding performance...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chaos_ed

Hi guys im new to this forum and I hope you dont mind answering a few Q's :)

I have a 1.4i (no VTEC :( )5 door civic (UK car) from the bastard hybrid Honda Rover ( :lol: )era and I want to know if it is worth/possible to tune up the D14A2 engine?

I mainly want a bit more power to have a bit more fun with my car as im not trying to build a 1/4 mile monster or anything :lol:

Does anybody have any experience with this engine? I wanted a car with a B16A2 but insurance was the prob at the time and believe it or not I have become attached to my car which is why I wanna do a bit of light tuning :)

I may be being a bit silly here but do you think a light pressure turbo conversion would be possible without spending S**tloads of money?

Anyway my knowledge of what aftermarket parts will fit this particular engine is limited and I was looking for somewhere to buy intakes etc. from. The layout in terms of intake manifold position and exhaust seems very similar to the B16 series but I understand that the reason for this is Honda like to keep the layout similar on their engines where possible and is the reason for my curiosity as to whether things for the B16 series would bolt on. Im obviously not talking about turbo's here just things like headers and intakes?

Appols if my post is a bit confused its just im a bit new to the tuning game (I work in IT :lol:) but I wanna learn :)

Thanks and any ideas/suggestions or help would be appreciated :)

I know a couple people over here (I am in Germany) that have the 1.4's and 1.3's, and have not been able to squeeze anything more than about 100Hp out of them. IMO a swap is just what you need, as you'll spend just as much to be slower.

That is the basic impression I had re this engine. I believe it makes about 90bhp anyway.

The car itself is quite big but weighs 1095KG and does 60 in roughly 10 sec which aint "that" bad but a swap for me in the UK is going to be a nightmare and Im beginning to think I need to get a car with a B16A2 in it to play with :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Actually there are quite a few people in the UK that have done swaps that I know of. But apparently it is kind of hard to find the motors just laying around there. If you can get to Germany, they are pretty easy to find.

Cheers M8 you have mentioned another prob that I have in the UK :)

Engines are a bit difficult to source bar finding a scrap yard and looking for a suitable engine in a car that was rear ended :)

Ya think id be mad to look into a light pressure turbo for my current engine? I hav one place in mind that may do it for me as they have done conversions on motors with less cc's than mine! We talkin' Fiat seichento's! (i think thats how ya spell it)

Seicentos, yea those are small haha. You could run boost on it, but why bother? It still isn't goingto be real faster, and will probably not last too long. You could search around for a ESi which has the 125Hp D16Z6, that would be a easy probably cheap swap, and not as hard to find a VTi B16A2.

If I go down the swap route then id prolly try to find the top spec version of my car that (I think) has a B16A2 in it which leads onto a world of tuning parts etc :)

Trouble is,
a.) finding a car that got rear ended in a scrappy
b.)my insurance company will rape me
.....and the final problem is I have no idea where to go in the UK who do swaps as I definately can't do it myself (I dont have the tools or the knowledge unfortunately :( )

Would be cool thing to do but it's less trouble with the insurance if I sell my current car ( :( ) and find another with a motor more suited to tuning.

I think it would be kinda cool to stick a turbo on my current motor even if it is a bit pointless, just to see if it is possible. :unsure:

ur insurance company doesnt have to no about ur swap :D
i dont think ur prob would be finding the engine...but finding little misc. parts

Back