Quick INFO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohsosikcivic

Hot mess
alright sooooo... Im trying to get a motor today from a junk yard... now I dont know if most junk yards will know if its a B18B or a B18A because most of the motors arent in front of them... BUT!!! ive only found B18A's so far...

if im planning on Rebuilding it with all new internals. does it matter? id like a B18B cause i wana swap into a 95 civic... for easy-er installation. is it just the head in difference?

ok so heres a funny story...

I went to RED's auto salvage in johnston RI cause they told me that they had a B18A1 that ran great and was ready to take out of a car for 300 bucks... so i head down there and everyones MAD SHADY! he said he drove it recently... when it was on top of another car... no wheels... looks like there hasnt been any on for a while and the radiator and condenser is compleatly out of the car... good price and engine turned over when i turned the crank pully but the who thing sounded weird so i walked away...

Went to a place another place and found 2 more... i ended up getting one from there. one already had the tranny pulled off it but didnt get a chance to turn the crank cause it was on the ground but i told him what im doing... and im ripping apart the motor with in a couple days to check out the block... and if theres any cracks on the cylinder walls or sleeves i told him i want my money back, he agreed... and told me thats not a big deal... upon taking the engine tomarrow hes gonna crank it a few times around for me to show everythings good...

what do you guys think?

I'm not sure exactly what you're wanting to know, but I would get something in writing stating that if the engine is damaged that it can be returned for a full refund, and you should be ok. If you can't do a compression test on the engine it's pretty hard to tell if anything is wrong. Even then the cylinder walls could still be scored and it might not show up on a compression test. If you are rebuilding it it's not as big of an issue since you can bore the block and use oversize pistons, but I would still rather start with an engine that's in good condition to begin with.

As far as if it is a B18a or B18B just check the engine stamp. Since it's going into a 95 Civic I would try to find a B18B since it is OBD1 and will make the swap much easier. Plus in some states installing an engine that's older than the car (B18A) is not smog legal.

i tryed to find a B18B but there wasnt any really around my area after about a week of searching... so i found what seemed to be a good conditino B18A i told the guy at the junk yard that if i cant use it... can i bring it back, cause im stripping it down.. he said yes we have a 30 day policy... i said ok. great

It will work too.. you'll just need to either convert the engine to OBD1 or convert the car to OBD0. I would suggest switching the engine over to OBD1 instead of the latter.

Since you're rebuilding everything the differences in the two engines don't really matter as you can upgrade anything you want.

Ya man. Change the motor over to obd1.

You'll need the alternator, distributor, and intake manifold and sensors or you might be able to rig up your stock manifold sensors to run that engine. Use your original injectors because I'm pretty sure the obd0 injectors have different clips and you would need a resistor box to run them.

Back