Quick Question On E-Brake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hmm i'll take a look at my 96-00 civic factory service manual real quick, i didnt see anything before tho.

i'm trying to see if it should or not now, so i can address the problem soon, if need be. i got a week or more till i can charge the system.

I'm a big fan of not dicking around with things until everything is setup.

I'd wait until you charge the system. Although, I don't think it'll make a difference with the problem you've described.

Well I'll be damn'd!

Page 19-6
NOTE: After servicing the rear brake pads or calipers, or the rear brake shoe, loosen the parking brake adjusting nut, start the engine, and depress the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake before adjusting the parking brake.

Thanks to everyone, I am a retard! haha. +rep for all

I'm a big fan of not dicking around with things until everything is setup.

I'd wait until you charge the system. Although, I don't think it'll make a difference with the problem you've described.

Yeah thanks for the info. I didn't think that would be an issue since it's an emergancy brake. It would be assumed to work without the fluid. But that makes sense. This is the first time I've bled brakes or messed with the brake system. A large undertaking, but when I'm finished, I should have learned much. And I am. So thanks again.

Did it work out?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.
YBLEGAL, did it work out for you after you loosen the adjusting nut and readjust? I have the exact same issue but I still cannot get it to work(both L/R side). I even used a rod to push the e-brake lever from the back to simulate the action of the e-brake handle and it still didn't work. What is the chances that it is something wrong inside the Caliper(the piston from the e-brake lever). I purchased these Caliper(refurbished) about 2 yrs ago and it had been like this. I just never had a chance to look at it until now. Am I suppose to turn the Piston in order to activate the e-brake? Anyone can help would be greatly appreciated it.

You must pressurize the brake system. Honda calipers (most of them) use a self adjusting mechanisim. After they have been pressurized and bled, the e-brake should work unless there is too much cable slack.

Good?

Thanks for your info. I guess I will loosen the adjusting nut and bleed both calipers again.

Adjusting nut? The parking brake cable adjustment nut orrr are you talking about something else?

I ask because honda's don't have an adjustment mechanism for the calipers, only those cables.

Best of luck sir.

Yes, I'm talking about the parking cable adjustment nut(where the e-brake handle is). You're right, there is no adjustment mechanism on the caliper at all. Thanks!

Back