Quick Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NewbieCRXSi

Hey everyone i just picked up a 90 crx si that needs a new motor and from what little researching ive done i would like to get a d15b vtec to replace the d16a. Me and a friend n his uncle will be doing all the work and i havent really found the info i need to answer my question....... so what will i have to modify to make a d15b run in my crx? thanks sorry if this gets asked a lot just wanted to know if everything bolts up as well

sorry but i really dont know much bout honda swaps.... ok so what is the obd and what all will have to be changed to make it run? like what do you mean by other than the obd and vtec it will bolt in just as easy as a d16a?

OBD = On Board Diagnostics (emissions)

The D15B come with and without vtec,but the ones people buy on line are usually the vtec ones.Your car is OBD 0 and the D15B is OBD I.OBD's difference's that effect swaps are the plugs on the sensors and ECU's,o2 sensors,etc...for the most part they don't plug into each other.You probably will have to swap out the injectors and the distributor to OBD 0 versions so they will plug up to your harness.Luckily you have the Si,which is fuel injected and you don't have to do that conversion too.For the vtec you'll need to run wires from the vtec solenoid to the pin points on the ECU.Other than the electrical issues,it is a staight up bolt in motor.You can even use the tranny,axles and shiftlinkage you already have.

all u need to do is use your COMPLETE intake manifold off of the old motor and use your old distributer and..bam ur obd0 and all of yoiur old wires will plug in. after that just wire vtec of a switch or what have you, or get a feild or apex vtec controler to control vtec and fuel...

If you are mechanically inclined there is a better option. Rebuild the D16A6 with some high compression pistons and put a VTEC head on it. It's called a mini me and works quite well.

If you really want to put the D15 in it needs the front upper driver's side mount from your A6 and the current tranny, axels, shift linkage, and the rest of the mounts will work. The mounts are probably worn out. This place has some good deals on replacement poly mounts for you. As for wiring it up there are two options. either make/ buy a conversion harness to OBD1, or do as mentioned above and convert the engine to OBD0 and rig up a VTEC switch. To get the full rated hp from that engine you would need to convert to OBD1 and use the D15 intake manifold and a OBD1 VTEC ECU.

There are a number of guys who make and sell conversion harnesses for around $150, well worth it if you want it to just bolt in and get the full potential from the swap. If you feel you can make a harness that is also an option.

Back