Quick Wiring Question...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a JDM B18C GSR that im putting in my 1992 Civic Cx Hatchback. The wiring harness clips on the B18C that come off the motor WILL clip into the clips on my CX harness that come from the firewall into the engine bay. But there are a few wires that run into the clips on the B18C, that don't run into the clips on the CX harness. Is this normal with this swap?

P.S. Being the harness off the B18C will clip right into the clips on the CX harness does that mean it is OBD 1 like my car is?

Also my CX harness that goes from the engine bay to the ECU clips right into my GSR ECU(p72). So does that mean the B18C and the GSR ECU are OBD1?

Thanks!

the engine harness will fit the plugs on the shock towers for either one ... but if the ECU plugs are the same then its an OBD-1 ECU

i think you still need to do something about the wiring for the secondaries

What are the secondaries? Arn't they some of the wires needed for Vtec?

P.S. I have a 92 Civic so isn't my car pre-wired for Vtec? I read on the articles on this site that EVERY 92 Civic was pre wired for Vtec, So would i still need to do anything with the secondaries? Thanks!

Also do you think the motor is OBD1 being the GSR ECU they gave me when i bought the complete swap was OBD1?

Originally posted by NeedACivic@Apr 16 2003, 12:55 PM
What are the secondaries? Arn't they some of the wires needed for Vtec?

P.S. I have a 92 Civic so isn't my car pre-wired for Vtec? I read on the articles on this site that EVERY 92 Civic was pre wired for Vtec, So would i still need to do anything with the secondaries? Thanks!

They have the wires,but they go to different places once they leave the ECU.You need to get the pinuot for the GSR ECU and run the wires independently unless you can decipher the wiring diagrams and find them in the harness.As far as the IAB you'd need to wire that on it's own since the civic didn't have that system and aren't equipped for such.And yes,if the harness plugs into the motor,and the ECU plugs into the car then it is OBDI.

Which wires(and how many) exactly do i have to run independtly from the motor to the GSR ECU?

Also when you say run wires indepently do you mean...taking a 12v wire from whatever on the motor, running it into the fire wall, then cliping a ECU "pin" onto the wire and then pluging it into my GSR ECU?

Originally posted by NeedACivic@Apr 17 2003, 05:23 AM
Which wires(and how many) exactly do i have to run independtly from the motor to the GSR ECU?

Also when you say run wires indepently do you mean...taking a 12v wire from whatever on the motor, running it into the fire wall, then cliping a ECU "pin" onto the wire and then pluging it into my GSR ECU?

Whichever solenoids(wires coming from them) are left without a home.

Yes.

Back