Rack and pinion noise on B18 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hatchbros 93

This car was converted from auto to manual with a 97 b18 swap. It makes sqeel sounds when you turn and he said that it is because the rack and pinion is from an auto and it needs a manuel one or some part to complete the PS . Also since its a 97 motor its obd2 and the civic is obd1, its throwing a check engine light because of this, how labor intensive is it to fix that or both problems thank in advance.

The rack in the car makes no difference between manual trans or auto tranny, are you sure that its not the power steering pump or th ebelt making the squeal?

About the check engine light, you woul dhave to find out what the code is, then someone will be able to help you.

why dont you check your CEL, if its throwing a code because of the noise the by checking the cel it will tell you what

Well I ended up buying this car. If you said that the rack and pinion is the same part for auto and manuel then im not sure. It could be the tie rod ends because it only makes the sqeeking noise when your turning. I also found out that its missing the o2 sensor cord, but he's got it chipped so it dosnt need one, sounds kinda shady to me, what do you guys think?

if the o2 is missing the plug then thats the cel but as for the noise does it do it the whole time you are turning cause if it does have you checked to see if your tires rubbing.

Dont think its tires, there just 195/50/15 mounted on stock LS rims, although it is lowered. The sound was like the sound of a sqeeky bed, I'll have to figure it out one of these nights. thanks guys

If it is a squeak like that it could be almost anything in the front end that turns, ball joints, tie rod ends, suspension bushings, maybe even the front sway bar bushing(s) moving back and forth ever so slightly.
The lower ball joints carry the most load on almost any suspension, try to check and make sure that nothing is worn out/loose.

Thanks welfare, ill check on that, do you guys have any idea if a PS rack and pinion is any different from a non PS rack and pinion?

yes, they are mounted differetly, and actually use a completely different subframe,
you con't just throw power steering into a non-power steering car without changing the subframe at least on the civics and integras,
100% sure of this for 92-95 civic and 94-01 integra,
NOT 100% for 96+ civic but I am almost positive it's the same setup.

OK, thats probably why it turns stiff, and the car steers really loose, plus that annoying squeek. Now the Q to end this thread, right now it has a GSR power steering pump, no belt not hooked up, and the power steering rack and pinion. would it be easier just to get the parts and get the power steering to work? Or can i get a non PS rack and pinion to put in their? Will it even mount in their with it previously having powr steering? I dont really care to have Power steering, but im not gonna go out of my way to avoid it. By the way its a 95' thanks!

If the car has a power steering rack and you want it to work with the gsr power steering pump, all you have to do is run an integra GSR power steering pressure line from the rack to the top of the pump, and then hook the return hose up from the p/s resivoir to the bottom of the pump. The pressure line may have to be bent slightly but it should be almost a direct fit.
Way cheaper than replacing the rack with a manual rack because you would also have to replace the subframe to accomodate the manual rack :)

Back