radio fuse

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I dont know whats going on but my car (toyota paseo) eats my radio fuses like candy, every 15-20 mins the fuse burns out and I have to replace it. Its becoming quite costly but more of an annoyance really. It just started to happen only a few days ago, it never happened before. I had a sound system placed in, 1 600wat sub and 1 600wat amp if you have to know, about 2 months ago. Everything seems to be working properly(Best Buy installed it, :ph34r: please forgive me :cry: ) till about a few days ago, and I dont know how to fix it, I just kept replacing the fuse everytime it burnt out.

On the side note, Im a complete nublet when it comes to cars, so please help me, the $2.49 6-pack of fuses every other day is cutting into my college fund. :laugh:

Edit: Sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot I didnt know if it when here or 'Other Vehicle Discussions'

look for a blown light. one of my fuses kept blowing...i changed the light and it stopped...see if that works

Quoted post[/post]]
look for a blown light. one of my fuses kept blowing...i changed the light and it stopped...see if that works

Noperz no blown lights anywhere.

I guess its no music for a while. :cry: Thanks for the info though formby.

Edit: I just noticed the clock goes out as well, when the radio fuse burns.

check your wiring for shorts or pinched wires and whatnot.

well first what size fuse is it that keeps blowing and what does that fuse control. is it on the same circuit as the ciggerette lighter? if so check to make sure there isnt anything inthere that can short out the cig lighter ie: a penny or somthin. that is very common to happen. also if you have your install reciepts from best buy the install is warrantied for life. you can bring it to any best buy and they check it at no charge to you, you know how i know i work there thats how so if all else fails bring it back to them they SHOULD be able to figure it out if they are at all compitant.

Quoted post[/post]]
well first what size fuse is it that keeps blowing and what does that fuse control. is it on the same circuit as the ciggerette lighter? if so check to make sure there isnt anything inthere that can short out the cig lighter ie: a penny or somthin. that is very common to happen. also if you have your install reciepts from best buy the install is warrantied for life. you can bring it to any best buy and they check it at no charge to you, you know how i know i work there thats how so if all else fails bring it back to them they SHOULD be able to figure it out if they are at all compitant.

Its a 15A Fuse, on the panel cover, it says radio/cig. Ill go out right now and see if theres anything in the cig lighter.

Edit: Hmm.. nadda in the cig lighter, ill have it checked tomorrow at best buy. Would it hurt in anyway if I were to use a fuse that said 20 or 30 in place of the 15 or would that damage something in the short/long run?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

You COULD get away with a 20, but I wouldn't recommend it... Usually there is a reason for a fuse blowing. If it is an OEM radio, there is NO WAY it should be pulling 15 amps. An aftermarket shouldn't really pull more than 7. And if you have nothing in the cigarette lighter, you have something really wrong.

Back