Rattle can Painted the car.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 6 2005, 10:29 PM-->
Airjockie
@Jul 5 2005, 05:59 PM
if you can get the paint, and once I have a paint booth set up in the garage, your welcome to come up to CT and spray it.
[post=521078]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm very interested in how you're setting up a paint booth...
[post=521883]Quoted post[/post]​

Well...when I was in Japan, that AE86 car dealer had a booth set up in a corner of their shop....

It was basically a huge curtain like you would see in a hospital...just a curtain on a half oval rail...

I'm going to fab up something simular, except with a few PVC tubes, some curtain rings, and a huge sheet of plastic...and I'm going to make an extra sheet of plastic that drops down from the walls...

It's going to be crude...but if it pops out about 4 cars I'll be happy. ;)

Awesome. So basically just a monster ass shower curtain in the garage? If that's all it takes, I'll do it myself and paint a few cars (truck, Katie's Civic).

Heres the one I saw...

Note the curtain in the corner...

aml.jpg

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Jul 6 2005, 10:25 PM-->
you guys should check out the forums on http://www.autobody101.com/ there's a lot of good info about home made booths and the like to be found there.
[post=521941]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Airjockie
@Jul 6 2005, 11:44 PM
Heres the one I saw...

[post=521961]Quoted post[/post]​

If that's all it takes, I'm going to spray my own!

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 7 2005, 04:11 AM-->
Originally posted by kylemarhx@Jul 6 2005, 10:25 PM
you guys should check out the forums on http://www.autobody101.com/ there's a lot of good info about home made booths and the like to be found there.
[post=521941]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Airjockie
@Jul 6 2005, 11:44 PM
Heres the one I saw...

[post=521961]Quoted post[/post]​

If that's all it takes, I'm going to spray my own!
[post=522007]Quoted post[/post]​

You might want to put a curtain all they way around though for good coverage. and you will need spray guns. and all that stuff. blah.

mike, from what I have read, you basicly just need to make a huge plastic bubble to paint the car, so that there is zero wind in the room. In a garage, fab up a big box frame out of PVC pipeing, throw a clear plastic tarp over the roof, then another one all the way around the place with a few overlapping at the door so you can get in, but you won't introduce a draft that will bring dust.

From what I have read, to paint a car properly, its all about taking your time and doing the prep work right.

Originally posted by Lantis+Jul 7 2005, 03:13 AM-->
You might want to put a curtain all they way around though for good coverage. and you will need spray guns. and all that stuff. blah.
[post=522009]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, spray guns won't be a problem- they're relatively cheap.

asmallsol
@Jul 9 2005, 11:03 AM
mike, from what I have read, you basicly just need to make a huge plastic bubble to paint the car, so that there is zero wind in the room. In a garage, fab up a big box frame out of PVC pipeing, throw a clear plastic tarp over the roof, then another one all the way around the place with a few overlapping at the door so you can get in, but you won't introduce a draft that will bring dust.

From what I have read, to paint a car properly, its all about taking your time and doing the prep work right.
[post=523159]Quoted post[/post]​

I was going to go to full coverage on the plastic- not just one side. That's dumb to me. Prep work is definitely key... but I'm not looking for a spectacular paint job on any of the cars that I'm doing- I just want to cover up the primer spots that I'm going to make when I file the rust out of the truck bed and fill in the holes.

Back