RE: B16A OBD1 CONVERSION

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gene

Hey just wondering if this type of a mod was even worth it. Myobd0 b16a runs rough and was wonderin if people who have done it have had a significant increase in their gas milage. I only get 313km to the last drop and was seeing if there was any way to save gas without sacrificing the power that b16's put out. Thanks for any input.

:worthy:

Quoted post[/post]]
Hey just wondering if this type of a mod was even worth it. Myobd0 b16a runs rough and was wonderin if people who have done it have had a significant increase in their gas milage. I only get 313km to the last drop and was seeing if there was any way to save gas without sacrificing the power that b16's put out. Thanks for any input.

:worthy:
going to obd-1 won't gain you any HP, however, it will open up much more programs that you can tune with, therefore making easier to get more HP when you tune.
Just do regular maintenence on your car, and you'll be golden. Regular oil changes, keep your tires properly inflated, make sure your air filter stays clean, spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and the list goes on...

BTW- while you are driving, don't coast too much in nuetral. Your injectors don't spit out fuel above 1000rpm's (if i remember correctly) if your throttle is shut. you can save a little gas that way.

I personally drive a obd0 b16 everyday. for somereason they arnt as smooth as the obd1 but if your not tuning or anything obd1 is a waste of money. not only do you need new injectors, dizzy, wire harness, and a ecu...if you dont get the b16 ecu your gonna have to get a p28 re chiped to run it. I was going to go obd1 till i figured out its a waste of money when obd0 works fine. as for tuning Im getting my car tuned with a obd0 program so its not that bad. Around here its just hard to find people that will tune in general.

well, what ecu are you running now?

add a new fuel filter to the above list of maintenance parts and you should see decent mileage unless you're running some garbage ecu with a shitty chip, etc..

also keep the revs low
vtec eats gas y0

:withstupid:

OBD1 was better until turbo edit and bre came along....i say keep it obd0...and just get a custom chip made for your app on a dyno

the obd1 tuning programs (crome pro, hondata s300, neptue) are leaps and bounds ahead of any obd0 tuning programs for honda computers.

wow..awesome. Well I guess I will stick with what I got. thanks guys for the insight.

I have a b16b crx and get over 45 miles per gallon with it and it's putting out 210hp at the fly. Now our gallon is different to yours so take it that I get 320 miles to 31 litres of gas. Try replacing your O2 sensors. It made a big difference for me.

Quoted post[/post]]
I have a b16b crx and get over 45 miles per gallon with it and it's putting out 210hp at the fly. Now our gallon is different to yours so take it that I get 320 miles to 31 litres of gas. Try replacing your O2 sensors. It made a big difference for me.

that's about what I get ....i did a tune up i.e plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter and o2 sensors ...just wanted to see what everyone else gets...

Clanny......What kind of tranny are you running? That is incredible, I have yet to replace my o2 sensor to a 4 wire, or do cap/rotor and I have a J1 tranny but I am still only getting 24 mpg. And I calculate 39 mpg for you, 320 miles into 31 liters which is 8.2 gallons=39.02 mpg, but at any rate is still incredible. Do you ever go into vtec? Seems a little too incredible?

gene.........I thought you said you got 313km to the last drop, did you mean 313 miles?

Quoted post[/post]]
Clanny......What kind of tranny are you running? That is incredible, I have yet to replace my o2 sensor to a 4 wire, or do cap/rotor and I have a J1 tranny but I am still only getting 24 mpg. And I calculate 39 mpg for you, 320 miles into 31 liters which is 8.2 gallons=39.02 mpg, but at any rate is still incredible. Do you ever go into vtec? Seems a little too incredible?

gene.........I thought you said you got 313km to the last drop, did you mean 313 miles?

Hi there, it's always wise to remember that we use imperial gallons (8 pints = 4.545 litres) whereas you guys use United States gallon equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters. It always throws out any conversation like this :mrgreen: .

My engine and car are very well set up with two new O2 sensors (single wire) and I replace my distributer cap and rotor arm regularly. I check/replace my plugs with every service (and I do this every 4-6 months). My filters are kept spotless and I keep on top of the rest of the system regularly. I use new oil (castrol gtx) every 3 months.

The gearbox you have "should" help your acceleration but will detract from your mpg as teh higher revving of your engine for the same road speed burns more petrol. I have recently built a hybrid gearbox with shorter ratios so am suffering from a simliar problem and it'll get worse soon when I put in my S1 gearbox. So technically, if I put my old box in, I could get better mileage.

I do spend as much time as possible in vtec but because my engine is so powerful, it doesn't take long to get through it and into the next gear. And if I vtec in 3rd, I'm breaking the speed limit, so it's mostly :wink: just 1st and second. My engine map has been set up on the rollers specifically for my car and this also helps to make it more efficient, as does the fact that at cruising speeds on motorways, my car sits just under the vtec point so I'm running in the more efficient low cam.

Hope this all makes sense and happy Christmas to everyone over there from Scotland.

Hi there, it's always wise to remember that we use imperial gallons (8 pints = 4.545 litres) whereas you guys use United States gallon equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters. It always throws out any conversation like this :mrgreen: .

I never knew scotland used different SI units. Anyway thanks for the tips, and merry christmas from the states.

Back