Rear brake upgrade questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nhgarcia

I am currently putting together all parts for a disc brake conversion on my 96 HX. I have looked for this info but can't find a definite answer. Hoepfully someone knows.

I have a complete rear setup from a 95 EX sedan with ABS. I know that all the non ABS stuff is compatible but I need to know if the spindles are the same on the non ABS system. Also I need to know if the calipers are the same. This is the most helpful stuff I found:

Common Interchangeability questions:

*When doing a rear disc conversion on an EK, you ONLY need the spindle, NOT the whole trailing arm. The spindle is held on by four T50 torx bolts and one 24mm bolt on all EF, EG, EK, DA, and DC chassis. Yes, the Torx bolts are hard to get out, and torque hard.
*88-00 Civic and 90-01 Integra Trailing arms are all interchangeable; all but the center bushing is the same.
*On an EK, use your stock LCAs, UCAs, and compensator arms or you will affect suspension geometry.
*Not all calipers may be 100% identical, but calipers and mounting brackets are Interchangeable between calipers on the following models: 88-91 CRX Si, 90-91 Civic Sedan EX, 99-00 Si, 94-95 Si with ABS, 96-97 Civic del Sol VTEC, 90-93 Integra,94-01 Integra (all models exc. Type-R)
*Civic drum rear brakes are lighter than Integra disc brakes by 7lbs spindle verse spindle.
*Civic Rear Discs are lighter than Integra Rear Discs (as a complete spindle, the rotors are identical), I don't know by how much.
*As of now, I know of no way to swap front calipers to use on the back. The caliper mount points are much farther apart for front caliper brackets, and most Hondas take solid rear discs, which are solid opposed to ventilated rotors, and they are much thinner. Also, you would have no e-brake mechanism because front calipers don’t have integrated e-brake parts.

THE 1996-2000 Honda Civic Rear Brake OEM Upgrade chart:
Weakest to strongest brake setup

civicdxbrakeupgradesreaqe0.jpg

Legend:

7CLP13S = 99-00 Si Caliper/CRX Si/90-01 Integra Caliper
Not all (7CLP13S) calipers/brackets may be 100% Identical, but calipers and mounting brackets are Interchangeable between calipers on the following models:
88-91 CRX Si, 90-91 Civic Sedan EX, 99-00 Si, 94-95 Si with ABS, 96-97 Del Sol VTEC, 90-93 Integra,94-01 Integra (all models exc. Type-R)
Si = Refers to the 7CLP13S (or equivelent) caliper and relative bracket
9CLP14S = EP3 Calipers/ RSX calipers
3EP = RSX/EP3 rear caliper bracket
*To use RSX/EP3 Calipers on a Civic/Integra with civic/ Integra e-brake cables, the e-brake attachment lever will need to be switched from any 7CLP13S caliper body.
*91-95 Legend rear calipers on a Civic/Teg with the 10.4" rotors uses the lighter Legend caliper, because it’s a caliper with just a piston, so it eliminates the e-brake cable and parts (for track cars). The 91-95 Legend used a separate drum for an e-brake.
** = The NSX Calipers on a Civic/Teg is NOT an OEM bolt on, and requires a custom bracket, one is available at
http://www.fastbrakes.com

Stock 96-00 Civic DX
This is the OEM brake system. DX drum spindles, DX slave cylinder, DX drums

to 88-91 CRX Si
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads) and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use the 99-00 Civic Si e-brake cables.

to 92-95 Civic Si / 96-97 Del Sol VTEC
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads) and swap them onto the Civic DX. You can use the 92-95 Civic Si or 96-97 Del Sol VTEC e-brake cables if 99-00 Si cables are not available, but they may be a bit long, so use the adjustment screw.

to 99-00 Civic Si
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads) and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use the 99-00 Civic Si e-brake cables.

to 90-01 Integra (exc. ITR)
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads) and swap them onto the Civic DX. You can use the 94-01 Integra e-brake cables if 99-00 Si cables are not available, but they will be a bit long, so use the adjustment screw.

to >90-01 Integra (exc. ITR)
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, and calipers) and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use 02-03 Civic Si (EP3) caliper bracket mounts, 90-01 Integra brake pads, and EP3 rotors. Since the EP3 uses a 4x100 10.2” rear rotor, you will use the small Integra brake pad, but with the bracket will be spaced out farther from the center. You can use the 94-01 Integra e-brake cables if 99-00 Si cables are not available, but they will be a bit long, so use the adjustment screw.

to 02-03 Civic Si
Take the rear spindle (with bearing and hub) from any 88-00 Civic with rear discs, or 94-01 Integra and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use 02-03 Civic Si (EP3) caliper bracket mounts, 02-03 Civic Si EP3 brake pads, and 02-03 Civic Si EP3 rotors. To use RSX or EP3 Calipers on a Civic/Integra with Civic/Integra e-brake cables, use the e-brake attachment lever swapped on from any 7CLP13S caliper body. Use the 99-00 Civic Si e-brake cables.

to 02-06 RSX/ 04-05 Civic Si
Take the rear spindle from any 88-00 Civic with rear discs, or 94-01 Integra and swap them onto the Civic DX. Bolt the 5x114.3 hub from a 97-01 Integra Type-R on. Use 02-03 Civic Si (EP3) caliper bracket mounts, RSX brake pads, and 97-01 Integra Type-R rotors. To use RSX or EP3 Calipers on a Civic/Integra with Civic/Integra e-brake cables, use the e-brake attachment lever swapped on from any 7CLP13S caliper body. Use the 99-00 Civic Si e-brake cables. You will need 5-lug wheels.

to 96-00 Civic Type-R
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads) from a 96-00 Civic Type-R and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use the 96-00 Civic Type-R e-brake cables. You will need 5-lug wheels.

to 97-01 Integra R
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, calipers, caliper hangars, rotors, and pads) from a 97-01 Integra Type-R and swap them onto the Civic DX. You can use the 97-01 Integra Type-R e-brake cables if 99-00 Si cables are not available, but they may be a bit long so use the adjustment screw. You will need 5-lug wheels.

to 91-95 Legend
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub, rotors, and pads) from a 97-01 Integra Type-R and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use the 91-95 Legend calipers and caliper hangars. You will no longer have an e-brake. You will need 5-lug wheels.

**to 91-96 NSX (Need picture mounted on car)
Take the rear spindle (with bearing, hub) from a 99-00 Civic Si and swap them onto the Civic DX. Use the NSX calipers, pads, caliper mounting bracket, and 10.3" front Civic EX rotors and bolt them onto the Civic DX. Use the 99-00 Civic Si e-brake cables.

Drum to Disc Conversion - Brake Fluid Line Interchangeability

When you remove rear drums and convert to discs, if you are using 99-00 Si spindles and brake lines, everything is fine. However, other brake lines may not work. You do want 99-00 Civic Si or 96-00 Civic Type-R brake lines because the drum takes a different fitting. Regardless of what caliper you use, all rear calipers (and front) take a banjo bolt for the brake fluid, so they use an O-shaped connector opposed to the female fitting that connects to the hardlines on the frame of the car. So when converting from drum to disc, or disc to drum, the brake fluid lines are not the same, and regardless of which rear caliper you use, use brake hoses intended for a 99-00 Civic Si (OEM or aftermarket.)

THe only problem is I can;t find anything on the ABS spindles. Does anyone know if I can use them? I thought maybe just put non ABS hubs on and not use the ABS sensors but not sure if that will work or not. Also not sure if Calipers are the same because there is no mention of ABS system anywhere that I can see.

I already have them all apart for cleaning and stuff so I will just not put the ABS sensors back on. Thanks for the info. I have one last question though. I noticed one of the bearings was worn so I was gonna replace just the hubs. Should I go with the ABS hubs or non ABS hubs? Anyone know?

Back