rear end replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

i have ben checking out prices for a new whole rear axle for the camaro in case they say that the frame isnt bent, but they total it out anyway. I found a few Z28 rear ends on ebay for around 400 bucks each, and the two i found were 2001's so thats not bad. they have the 12 inch disc brakes and posi diff.

the thing i need to know is how hard is it to swap that out. isnt it just held in by the u bolts, and wouldnt i basically just have to unbolt the driveshaft, drop the old rear end, bolt the new one up, and put in new u bolts?

this is cause i am considering buying the car back from insurance IF the frame is not bent. then the only other thing i would have to find is 2 wheels, which is easy.

any help would be cool, thanks.

yea i am trying there too, but i know a lot of guys on here also have some domestics, and i kinda know who to take advice from on here. over there it could be some noob that is telling me some BS

You'd probably have to disconnect your brake lines and rear antisway bar as well. After installation, you should make sure that you install a new proportioning valve for the disc brakes, check the lug pattern for differences, and make sure that you transmission angle is parallel to your rear end angle. I don't think it would change, but vibration occurs if the angles are off by more than 3 degrees.

Back