Removing AC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kaosprophet

Do to a friends halfass driving skills, I was forced to rebuild the front end of my 91 Teg this past6 week... fenders, hood, radiator support, bumper and all.. but in the process the wreck mangled all of my AC lines. Instead of dishing out the $$$ to replace all the lines, condensor, and whatnot, I was curious if completely removing the AC system from the engine would set it "off balance" or have any detrimental effects on its performance. :blink:

I've had several old musclecars and removing the AC systems always helped gain a few HP but with my Teg I'm not so sure and would hate to find out the hard way. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. :)

The only problem you will have is added hp :D and a hotter interior :(. It wont damage anything. The decreased load on the crank pully should add a little hp and it will eliminate some weight.

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 14 2004, 06:48 AM
The only problem you will have is added hp :D and a hotter interior :(. It wont damage anything. The decreased load on the crank pully should add a little hp and it will eliminate some weight.

:ditto: I took mine off & i felt a gain, i mean its not going to be huge but its still a gain none-the-less & you'll also lose about 25-30 pounds taking off all of your AC.

:concur: Also get rid of all the wiring that goes along with it, theres like 2-3 lbs of weight there. However if you wanted to keep the AC I have a condensor, 2 AC pumps (1 from a 90 & 1 from a 93), and 1 hardline (the smallest one) if you want it.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 14 2004, 01:25 PM
From the refrigerant I assume...

right, when we did our first swap it was in highschool autoshop and we just drained the fumes in there and it filled the entire room with this like poisonus fog hahaha, god we were smart....

hahahha, funny, i took off my ac cause it wasn't working...breathed in the fumes and felt a little rush!!!. if you live in Minnesota like i do and have humid musty summers then you'll need your ac. otherwise you can take it off and feel a meellly gain.

Well I don't have to worry about the refridgerant... already sprayed it all over the shop when I rebuilt the front end :p Thanks for all the input... oh and no real need for AC... I got two power windows.. B) oh and I drive fast. :D

Back