Removing Gsr Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just a basic question for all the techs, how hard is it to just drop out the transmission, it is a manual tranny. We want to keep the motor in and just pull the tranny,does it come off the same as it would if its not in the car, minus the driveshaft?

its kind of a pain in the ass. you have to remove all the mounts except the drivers side mount, tilt the engine, and slide of the tranny. its kind of sketcy. putting it back on like that is a pain in the ass, or maybe thats because i had my 13 year old brother helping me. you need some muscle to get that thing on.

IMO,it is easier to pull the whole motor.If you have a lift or a hoist (which your going to want anyway) it will make it a lot easier.

werd. by the time you take the axles and mounts, youre only one mount, some wires and hoses away from being able to pull it out.

It shouldn't be a problem, you can keep the rear motor moutn and timing belt mount on and just drop the tranny

you cant tilt the engine unless you take the rear mount off. and you have to tilt the engine to slide the tranny all the way off. otherwise it will hit the chassis.

rip the motor out? are you guys on crack!
fuck that.

bill did a tranny swap during his 30min lunch break one time.

for those of us who aren't stupid good mecahnics, it will take us 4-5 hours :p
but, there is no need to pull the motor. thats so stupid.

pull the axle, unhook the slave cyl, loosen all but two of the tranny to block bolts
undo the tranny to block supports under by the oil pan
undo the mount
get under the car, and prepare to bench press 100lbs at a wierd angle while a partner removes the last two bolts from the top.
wiggle it out, and press it down to your chet, and roll it the the ground :p

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+May 13 2003, 08:00 AM-->
get under the car, and prepare to bench press 100lbs at a wierd angle while a partner removes the last two bolts from the top.
And there in lays the problem,I all was wind up doing it myself,lazy bishes 'round me.And I don't like working in small spaces.

SixtySecondAssassin Posted on May 13 2003
@ 08:20 AM
so he didnt have to remove the back mount?
You don't have to remove it,just unbolt the ones that go all the way through,block and tranny.

If you have 2 people one can hold it from the top at the starter hole and the slave cylinder mounting area and just pull it off. then someone can be under the car and together lower it to the ground. I usually have the car up high enough to just slide it out from there. Make sure you drain the fluid before you pull the axels.

Back