renesis Hydrogen Rotary Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Now that's a step in the direction I thought hydrogen powered cars were going when I first heard of them... I assumed off the bat they'd all be using the explosive properties of hydrogen to power the car, not using it to charge batteries to drive motors... :p

this sounds weird..but seems interesting...:

** This was written in the article **

Electric-motor-assist turbocharger

An electric-motor-assist turbocharger is used to maximize the effectiveness of forced induction throughout the rev range. At low rpm, beginning at approximately 1000 rpm, an electric motor operates to assist the turbocharger and increase induction efficiency. At high rpm, the turbocharger is driven in a traditional fashion, by the flow of exhaust gas alone.

Neither of these innovations are new. Rotary engines will run on anything combustible. Propane conversions for the 12B motor run about $125 (Propane tanks, valves, and fittings.) Because of the simple nature of the rotary, it's been a strong favorite for the Russian KGB and military for over 40 years. The engine is literally, a pump, but instead of the transmission turning an impeller, the impeller turns the transmission.

Electrically assisted turbos were first made by Aura for use on generators. When I say generator, I mean building sized ones that need to spin up ASAP. A hospital generator must be at 3500 rpm (producing 65 Hz pulses at 440) within seconds of starting.

What the Rotary lacks in it's nature is the ability to put down more torque than hp. That's where I seriously believe Honda needs to come in and integrate IMA with a rotary. The electric motor has by it's own design, more torque than horsepower. If IMA were used as a "torque enhancer" only for a rotary to take over at high RPMs then you could make IMA behave like a supercharger... only a Supercharger straight to the wheels. That would be cool.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jan 21 2004, 11:36 AM
What the Rotary lacks in it's nature is the ability to put down more torque than hp. That's where I seriously believe Honda needs to come in and integrate IMA with a rotary.

::drools at the thought of a Honda rotary::

R-series engine? :ph34r:

that's the shit. i dig the rx-8. mazda has got it goin' on lately.

from personal experience, rotary's are insanely UBER awesome!!! I am amazed that nobody really caught on.

ford has had a bunch of cars out for a while that can run on E85 or gasoline or any combination of the 2

Back