repainting some rsx base wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Did you use duplicolors wheel paint? I like it lighter. That darker color had me wondering if it would lol right.

Did you use duplicolors wheel paint? I like it lighter. That darker color had me wondering if it would lol right.

It's not bad. It should lighten up as I get more on it, this stuff is highly metallic and reflective.

looks same color as my mitsu

Yeah, close in color if not the same color. It actually looks really similar.

For some reason this paint wants to be laid on thicker than normal rattle-can. It doesn't self-smooth unless you lay it on thick. :( Oh well. I'll keep coating them until I get bored with that, then move on to clear. Two cans of paint down, two more to go.

I was hoping to have them on the car Friday night, because I wanted to make it to the Saturday Autocross, but if the weather doesn't look like it's going to be NOT THUNDERSTORMING, that's not going to happen.

End of the month maybe?

Here's what they look like so far without the clear:
215570_1855240553275_1608660018_1879407_4462072_n.jpg

nice man!

you should get some cardboard boxes/lamp combo and make your own baking oven for the wheels :lol:

by the way, the clear is going to make that paint liven up. should be be good. :)

Paint them in your bathroom with the exhaust fan on

WTF, Most bathroom fans will not pull that kind of odor out. Have you ever spray painted in a house before? I have done small amounts in 4000 sqft warehouses and it stinks, imagine a 50sqft bathroom. Plus the over spray getting allover your house.

WTF, Most bathroom fans will not pull that kind of odor out. Have you ever spray painted in a house before? I have done small amounts in 4000 sqft warehouses and it stinks, imagine a 50sqft bathroom. Plus the over spray getting allover your house.

back porch or garage is the ideal place. I'm not saying to PAINT them inside. Simply move them to bake in order to speed up the curing process.

and yes the exhaust fan does not work very well.

I'm excited to get them finished, they already look amazing. I'm thinking two cans of clear will cover all four wheels, because I have all the wheels covered pretty well with two cans of paint. I just need to hit the insides of all of them with another can. The finish of this paint is really nice, but only after I wipe it down with a tack cloth, and buff it by hand with a soft cloth.

The paint comes out gritty, and the surface isn't smooth at all, should I be sanding at all? I planned on sanding with some 600 grit before the clear coat goes down, but is that needed between coats of the paint? I've never used a paint that lays with this much grit. I'll see if I can take a picture tonight to show it.

Also: fuck building an oven. I have a 600 sqft apt, and I don't have space to setup something like that. I paint them outside my Apt on the patio with a drop cloth. I'm not going to paint them inside, I'd rather not have to repaint an entire room white, or expose myself or my cats to those fumes. I've been only painting when it's above 60F, and the humidity is below 50%, hopefully that will keep everything sticking well.

back porch or garage is the ideal place. I'm not saying to PAINT them inside. Simply move them to bake in order to speed up the curing process.

and yes the exhaust fan does not work very well.

It wasn't at you, it was to the bathroom exhaust fan. Those two places are great if there is no dust or debris falling in them.

Pickles, I know with finishing woodwork a coat of poly is put down then it is sanded so whats underneath won't get sanded off. I would think it would be the same procedure.

Last edited:
Well, I've got the paint smoothed out enough I think. I'm going to start laying the clear down here in a few minutes.

15 minutes between coats of clear?

I've never clearcoated anything before, so this will be a new experience.

Ok, now I've got the color on the inside of the wheels and the surface is prepped for clear.

Unfortunately, it's still too humid to lay the clear.

Yeah, it's supposed to POUR all of this coming week too. I'm not going to be able to get the winter tires off for a while. :(

I might see about taking a day off of work and using the paint booth at the auto shop on base.

Give it 30 minutes to be safe. Temp has to be perfect.

Back