Replacing Airbags

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wanderinman

Had my airbags deploy so I need to replace them. Do I just need the bags or will I need the module that came with the bags as well? I am really unsure as to the sequence of events involved in them firing so dont know what all needs replacing once they've fired.

well do you want them to be functional or just now be blown

my 0.02 is

jdm air bag tray and a good stering wheel like a momo or some thing cheaper i think

Alot of vehicles have seat belt pretensioners that also need replacing in addition to what you listed.

You can get airbags (drivers and passengers side) on Ebay for like $70 shipped, I'd rather have them there again if I need them. Are the seat belt tensioners a standalone unit or will the whole seatbelt assembly have to be replaced?

ya as far as i know if your car is obd2 or up you will need to replace the belts as well. check to see if they retract, if the y do then id say your all set but if not then you need belts as well. also yes u do need the module. once they go the module is no good just like the bags

Shouldn't you replace the sensor that broke to tell the airbags to go off in the first place? :confused:

I suppose I should replace the sensor, but isn't the module basically a big sensor? Otherwise WTF am I looking for as far as the sensor? Also, I know honda warranties their seatbelts for life, will they just give me new ones if I try and play the "they just stopped working" card?

And yea, I got OBD-II, sigh.

Quoted post[/post]]
I suppose I should replace the sensor, but isn't the module basically a big sensor? Otherwise WTF am I looking for as far as the sensor? Also, I know honda warranties their seatbelts for life, will they just give me new ones if I try and play the "they just stopped working" card?

And yea, I got OBD-II, sigh.
90% of vehicles' crash sensor is part of the module. I believe Honda's is in the module. They won't go for the "they just stopped working" card. You can tell when they are bad because of a crash.

Quoted post[/post]]
90% of vehicles' crash sensor is part of the module. I believe Honda's is in the module. They won't go for the "they just stopped working" card. You can tell when they are bad because of a crash.
I thought that the (specifically civic) honda airbag module sat under the ashtray by the floor in a yellow box?
It seems like there would be some small sensors (and im sure there is) in the front of the car that must break and cause the trigger of the airbags. Otherwise, you'd have to crumple your car in order to get the airbags to work at all.

Well, something to think about;

On C-130 cargo planes (used to be a crew on them) the Emergency lights will come on if there is more than a 3.5G forward force on them. Basically they decided theres no way the plane could exert those forces unless it was hitting something, might work the same in that module. Rather than something breaking it could just be something in the module sensing a shit ton of (near instaneous) deceleration. I'll look into it more and post.

There were some weird things in the nose that I dont have a flying fig what they are for, I'll take some pictures next time I'm at the car, maybe they are sensors for the airbags.

P.S. I know everyone is trying to help but lets keep the airbag discussion to 96 Integras, at least in this topic please.

I'm going to go look at my car and find the sensors, i know where they are in the prelude. :)
[]
Just went and looked, i see two of them in plain view, but there might be more?
One is right next to my windshield wiper fluid reservoir, and the other one is right next to my intake filter.
Both are in the front right on the inside of the fender near the headlights, which would make sense for a front end impact.
This is a 95 coupe, but i hope this helps you, i don't want to see you hook up a new airbag,go to start your car and get an airbag to the face. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm going to go look at my car and find the sensors, i know where they are in the prelude. :)
[]
One is right next to my windshield wiper fluid reservoir, and the other one is right next to my intake filter.
Both are in the front right on the inside of the fender near the headlights, which would make sense for a front end impact.
This is a 95 coupe, but i hope this helps you, i don't want to see you hook up a new airbag,go to start your car and get an airbag to the face. :)

That is precisely what I am trying to avoid.

Quoted post[/post]]
[]
Those "sensors" you are talking about...I got a way to test your theory. Stick your ear right next to them and have a buddy press both buttons on the steering wheel. J/K. That's your horn. Wanderinman is dead on with his explanation of what sets off the airbags. It isn't force so much as an abrupt stop.
Also, the air bags won't go off if there is a problem in the system. They just won't deploy if needed.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
[]
Those "sensors" you are talking about...I got a way to test your theory. Stick your ear right next to them and have a buddy press both buttons on the steering wheel. J/K. That's your horn. Wanderinman is dead on with his explanation of what sets off the airbags. It isn't force so much as an abrupt stop.
Also, the air bags won't go off if there is a problem in the system. They just won't deploy if needed.
You're telling me that the two little white boxes about 2 inches long by 2 inches wide are my horn?????????????????????????????????????? +question marks.
Then what is that little metal speaker looking thing that goes BEEEEEP when i have someone hit the horn button, or doesn't go BEEEEEEEP when i take it off? :ph34r:
(it's possible those aren't for the SRS but they are not my horn)
I found this
http://209.103.220.181/airbag_matrix/fmpro...ndex.html&-view
It might help some too.

Hmmm. I thought you meant the horns. My bad. I don't know what it is that you are looking at then. I have the same car you are looking at (I have dual air bags) and I don't have any little white boxes. That's weird. Can you get a pic of them? Good link for SRS info, though. I still stand by my original statement that 90%of vehicles(at least) have the crash sensor integrated into the module.

Quoted post[/post]]
Hmmm. I thought you meant the horns. My bad. I don't know what it is that you are looking at then. I have the same car you are looking at (I have dual air bags) and I don't have any little white boxes. That's weird. Can you get a pic of them? Good link for SRS info, though. I still stand by my original statement that 90%of vehicles(at least) have the crash sensor integrated into the module.
You may be correct, they just look and seem like they would be logical srs sensors.
I can get a pic when i remember.
They are square white boxes 2x2x1 maybe, harnesses run into them almost like relays.
One on each side, look right next the where you pour the windshield washer fluid. :huh:

Ooohh...I see what you are referring to. I don't know what those are for sure. One thing that I would bet on is that they aren't tied into the SRS system. I don't know for sure if this is just an automotive standard or if it is a law of some sort but any wiring that could potentially set your air bags off has to be yellow in color or have a yellow sleeve to identify it as such. It's to keep someone from fumbling around and accidentially setting them off. It takes very little voltage to set them off. It is actually suggested that you ground yourself to the vehicle while working on SRS systems to keep from producing a static electricity discharge. :eek:

Hmmm, maybe it time for that new steering wheel after all. And I could use a tray over on the passenger side. :mrgreen: I'll post more when I actually get to the car and see what I'm working it.

you could allways do like i did in my ek and get a piece ov vinyl the color of your dash and rewrap the current cover and put it back on with no bag in it

Back