replacing cv boot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

my brothers 86 accord has a cracked cv boot. in replacing it i am having a hell of a time getting the ball joint appart.

dsc00027.jpg

c-speedracing suggested using a ball joint splitter (which i dont have)

do you guys have any suggestions? ive tried prying, hitting, and thats all so far. how do i get it appart?

If you think you're ever going to need it again (ball joint splitter) just go buy one. We have them in our shop, but if we didn't I would've bought one already. Other than that, hit the bottom with a rubber mallet.

ya, just go to pep boys and get a splitter, they are not expensive, i used to have one.

ok, i went and bought it. wasnt expensive. and i got the ball joint right off.

so now the next problem is how do i get the outer cv joint off to get the boot on. i had a picture...but i cant upload it to the gallery for some reason.

you have to take the old boot off
there should be 2 metal bands that hold them on, you have to cut these off and get new bands to attach the new boot.

well, we got it. we just ended taking the whole half shaft out. removing the inner joint. sliding the boot to the outer joint. we could never get the outer joint off (the boot was off though).

that ball joint tool worked well. other than that dilemma, it went pretty smooth.

for next time u dont need to take off the lower ball joint only the upper and the fork that is atached to the shock and the drive axle nut by the brake rotor just a short cut and easyer too

Originally posted by junhondasi@Jul 12 2003, 01:57 PM
for next time u dont need to take off the lower ball joint only the upper and the fork that is atached to the shock and the drive axle nut by the brake rotor just a short cut and easyer too

:werd: thats what i did when i did mine.

Back