Reputable Engine Swap Companies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sanchaaz

Hi All,

Can anyone refer me to any reputable companies that do Civic engine swaps in & around the Toronto area?

Please and thank you.

What are you looking for? A source to get a JDM engine? Or a mechanic to install one? Or both?

Basically, this is what I was thinking. Not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

I need to drop my tranny anyways to replace a rattling bearing (throw-out or pilot, not sure what it's called). Since I'd be doing that, I might as well replace the clutch & maybe re-surface the flywheel. Also, my timing belt & waterpump are due soon.

This brings me here; I was thinking since I'm going to get all that work done anyways, it MIGHT be better for me to replace the engine / tranny with newer & all the above issues would be solved.

Being a student, I just want reliability right now.

What do ya'll think? Is there something I'm overlooking here?

And yes Dual-500, I would need both.

If it runs ok now, doesn't burn oil. Take it to a mechanic, have a compression test ran - if good, do the work on it and call it a day. Focus on school.

Google it or search on this site. A basic compression test is a real good indicator of overall health of the engine. That coupled with a your firsthand knowledge if it smokes or burns any oil or has any unusual knocks or other sounds will tell you if the motor is healthy. If it's healthy, ain't broke, don't fix it - just do the recommended maintenance and fix the tranny. Drive it till yer done with school.

If it looks crappy on the compression test, you may want to consider rebuild/replace options.

You can probably borrow the compression test gauge set from an auto parts store. They usually rent tools and refund the rent money when you return them. Easy to do yourself. If you're not comfortable doing it, take it to a reputable mechanic and tell him why you are doing it.

EDIT: I'm assuming you are looking for Bang for Buck reliable transportation while in school and not a Hobby Build it Car Project? Cuz if it's a fun project, then swap the MOFER out and have fun driving a screamer. For me, I want to drive a HotRod and wouldn't put it back to stock configuration.

Last edited:
what year is your car and trim? if you dont want any problems just fix whats going on with your engine. and if you want to deal with things taking a shit on you and always having to replace things and when you think you have everything you need guess again, but if thats what you want do an engine swap!

@ Dual-500: Yes def bang for buck reliable transportation. Thanks again for the advice!

@iluvemyegg: '99 Civic Si (D16Y8 - has 280k on it so far). Shit, that's the con side of doing a swap. I def don't want that. Thanks for letting me know.

There are simple swaps you can do and there are also in depth detailed builds. What you choose to do is up to what your budget looks like! I think you might want to do the compression test as told and then go from there just to see what your options look like!

Back