resleeve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

Winter is about 2-3 months away and that means my engine comes out. I'd like to do as much of the build myself, but I was wondering about a couple things.

Can I put in new sleeves myself, or do I need a lot of specialized equipment?

I'm guessing they need to be aligned just right, but Is this out of the realm of possibilty for a do-it-yourself-er?

More ?'s to come, but this'll get us started

this is not something you should do just in your garage, if you know what to do and have the tools then you could but it seems like from your post you don't. Send the bottom out to get resleeved.

If you want you can assemble the bottom in your garage but you can also have the shop that does the resleeving reassemble your block for an extra usually 500.

Darton sleeves are the ones to go with.

Milan

I like the AEBS because they come with a deck also and you definatly[bad spelling day] want to have them done by a pro while the engine is out of the car.

If you have the money, RSmachine rocks.
if i ever sleeve another block, its going there. their work is just fucking beautiful.... but its a little more than GE.
I currently have a GE block, and i've heard lots of ups and downs about them... so we'll see what really happens.

Ok, so it looks like I should leave it to the professionals.

Where is RS Machine? Do you have contact information?

2nd question:

as far as I can see, Both Darton and Golden Eagle only offer sleeves for my engine in a stock bore of 87mm. Is this correct or is there somewhere I can go to get bigger. I suppose I could get the 87mm sleeves and bore them out, but it seems like that would be potentially creating an unneccessary step.

Anyody know what the largest bore I can go on these sleeves and still maintain a high strength and integrity?

http://www.rsmachines.com

They're the company that's basically riding Bisi Ezerioha's name for business... but it's still really high quality stuff. I wouldn't call them the gods of resleeving or anything though.

Darton and GE offer sleeves in 87mm only because you need to match bore to your pistons anyway. When you resleeve, you get the raw sleeve- the bore isn't perfectly straight until you bore it again. It warps a little on installation, so it's never 100% right. When you resleeve your block, you want to send your pistons to whoever is completing the bore operation so you can have it all matched up. I assume you have an H block? You can use your 88, 89, 90mm or whatever pistons you want- just have the machine shop match the sleeve to your pistons and you're good to go.

OK, last night I was a little spacey :sleep: sorry I didnt notice the H application,most any aftermarket sleeve will suit your needs and on a H you have a closed deck so AEBS wont make that big a diff.Do make sure the people doing this are worth thier weight.......I had a dodge bored and they killed my block because of inexperence even though they said they had done many......get references wherever you go,there are many good racing shops in NE.{lots of country boys w/jack shit to do all day},make some calls and ASK for references.

P.S.sorry bout the 4th,another buddy was in an accident,truck rolled over him.....drunk /w stripper in vehicle,so I'm saving to go to Denver and see him or his service[hope not].We'll get to the lake soon :D

P.S.sorry bout the 4th,another buddy was in an accident,truck rolled over him.....drunk /w stripper in vehicle,so I'm saving to go to Denver and see him or his service[hope not].We'll get to the lake soon

Man! I can't believe the luck your friends have!.....it just never stops does it?

No prob with the 4th. I ended up having to fix a work emergency, so I wouldn't have been able to meet up anyways. :ghey:

Back to the subject, thanks for the info.

Darton and GE offer sleeves in 87mm only because you need to match bore to your pistons anyway. When you resleeve, you get the raw sleeve- the bore isn't perfectly straight until you bore it again. It warps a little on installation, so it's never 100% right. When you resleeve your block, you want to send your pistons to whoever is completing the bore operation so you can have it all matched up.

I didn't realize that new sleeves had to be bored anyways.

I assume you have an H block? You can use your 88, 89, 90mm or whatever pistons you want- just have the machine shop match the sleeve to your pistons and you're good to go.

Yup, it's a h23a1. If I'm going to run high boost(which I'm hoping to), how much can I safely bore new sleeves out to? Would it be a good idea to call Darton or GE to see what they reccomend? Since this car is just a toy, I wanna make some pretty crazy numbers, but at the same time, I don't want to be cracking sleeves.

Thanks again!

yup- new sleeves are "raw" and need to be bored and then honed out before pistons/rings can go in them.

if you want to run high boost, no need to overbore. thicker sleeve = stronger. use your boost- not your motor - to make your power. that's what its there for.

B is right. One other thing to take into consideration is that the less you bore your sleeve at the beginning, the more "re-uses" you have "available" to you in the block. If you take your sleeve and punch it out to 90mm the first time you use it, what happens when you blow it up? You can't bore out much more than 90mm. If you start at 87mm, you can screw it up and take it out to 87.5mm or 88mm, then more every other time. If you're really pushing it, this can be advantageous to you. You'll save money and time this way.

Tru, me personally I have decided to finally go with a straight 84mm and if shit does go wrong I can go out some without dishing out for new sleeves. I was originally going to go with 85mm but decided otherwise for my daily ride.

Milan

One other thing to take into consideration is that the less you bore your sleeve at the beginning, the more "re-uses" you have "available" to you in the block. If you take your sleeve and punch it out to 90mm the first time you use it, what happens when you blow it up? You can't bore out much more than 90mm. If you start at 87mm, you can screw it up and take it out to 87.5mm or 88mm, then more every other time. If you're really pushing it, this can be advantageous to you. You'll save money and time this way.

That is a freakin GREAT idea!....I would've never thought of that :blink:

Thanks guys!

hey i know the question was about resleaving but maby u just might want to go with a block gaurd instead I have no idia what u are planning but they are really easy to install if you have your head off

ResleEve, not resleAve.

You don't want to use a block guard anyway... they block more coolant than a strutted ductile iron sleeve. The H22 has a carbon composite sleeve that tends to not like honing that much, and you usually want to resleeve when you run forged pistons.

Back