Restart Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I wouldnt knock on Biostar. Maybe the older socket As, but the newer ones, 754 and up have been great overclockers for the money. I just built one for my brother using their 6100 Am2 Tforce and its bumping a 3800 X2 to 2.3ghz happily without incident.

Anyway, did you run Prime 95? It may seem stable, but without running a program to fully load your computer, it isnt really stable because not every part of your system is being tested, like unused RAm thats never accessed.. You may still get random reboots.

If you weren't sliding the computer around on the capret you shouldn't be generating any significant static. Are you sure it isn't a software issue? Have you tried downloading some kind of live CD? Knoppix makes a good one. Run that for a couple of days and see if it still reboots.

Ok, I just finished running a Prime95 torture test for 20 hours and it came out with zero errors. I also did a MemTest86 on it and that also came out with zero errors.

BTW, my PC has not restarted now for close to 2 weeks and counting :D

AAGGGHH!!!!!

I was playing CS source two days ago and my damn PC just locked up, then restarted itself. This is getting rediculous. It isn't a heat issue, or memory for sure. Think it could be a defaulty power supply?

Alright, has anyone had experiences with power supply testers? My brother brought one home and tested my power supply and it showed all green lights. But, what the heck does a power supply tester do? Test the voltage or just show the power supply is working?

My friend was playing CS and my PC just froze for 3-5 seconds then shut down. He tried turning it back on a few times and it clicked on......1-2 seconds later it shut down again. I waited 20minutes or so and turned it on and it came on for about 5 minutes then shut off again so I waited 30 minutes and turned it on it's running fine now.....Power supply? heat issue? :-(

That sounds like a thermal protection shutdown to me. Next time it happens go into your BIOS and check to see how hot it thinks the CPU is. If it is your GPU, there should be a tool from the Manufacturer to do so from your desktop. (nVidia has one, I believe ATI does as well)

Back