Retrograde or Upgrade? That is the question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GAgreenMachine

First of all I would like to thank the HS community for having me. I am the new and hopefully fortunate owner of a 1994 civic EX cpe 5spd with a seized motor(hole in bottom). I've had trouble finding a D16z6 to swap into the car. And I was wondering what are my options for a straightforward swap with minimal cost. the car will be my runaround girl so MPG is more important than speed for now.

She has also been sitting for a year if that matters.

@ E SolSi: Thanks for the info. Now is that the D15b2? I actually saw one of those locally for under 500. Is it not worth the risk to try since it appears the one in the link is reconditioned/rebuilt?

No, that is a JDM D15b v-tec, no number after the b means that it came from a japanese market car (this can make searching for a particular year/model a little harder). Would be about the same as a z6. If you get a JDM motor from a good supplier (H-motors is certainly one if not the best) it should be in pretty good condition and they are very low mileage. Here is a link to wikipedia's explaination of it, Motor-vehicle inspection (Japan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Any motor you put in your car, unless you know for sure the service was done, should get plugs/wires/timing belt/tensioner/water pump/oil change at minimum.

Another JDM option is a "SOHC ZC VTEC", which is pretty much a D16z6 but not as common as the D15B VTEC.

AHHVTEC: Kennessaw.

Korax: It does look like a great option assuming it's smog legal. I haven't even approached the subject of engine and tranny swapping since the CVT went out in my 2k HX.

K2e2vin: If I can find it.

well heck if you was near north alabama, i have a full swap for sale.with less than 50 miles on it since i got it from hmotors

Back