Revving possibilities

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolLess16

was wondering how high you can rev a d16 - i am planning on completely rebuilding the head with all skunk2 eq. and was wondering what it's limit would be - also will the crankshaft be a problem in revving high- also i good port and polish wil be added and possibly a good 3or5 way valve job - thanks

just a couple pointers, people around here really dispise of posts written in CAPS.

Also, the admin doesn't allow pics in your signature. Don't be ofended when they take them down.

Fix those two things and you'll be good to go.

Originally posted by SolLess16@Jul 31 2003, 09:19 PM
was wondering how high you can rev a d16 - i am planning on completely rebuilding the head with all skunk2 eq. and was wondering what it's limit would be - also will the crankshaft be a problem in revving high- also i good port and polish wil be added and possibly a good 3or5 way valve job - thanks

I'm gonna get my ass handed to me for even saying this but here goes -

The B16 has the best possible rod/stroke ratio, so in theory you could take that bad boy to 12,000 plus if you had a head that could handle it. I'm not sure about the crank playing a role but in NA setups I have heard that a knife-edged crank makes all the differance in the world.

Why would you want to rev your motor anywhere past 9,000 tho? It's doubtfull that you will see any power past 9k to 10k even with Toda spec Cs. K - flame away guys....

Dude, I just read your post again and realized it's a D16 and not a B16. Disregard everything I just said. In fact, disregard everything I have ever said or will say for that matter. :p

there probably won't be power past 9k so don't even worry about it. If you have cams that can actually handle it, a fully built motor should in theory hit 9 no probs

well i never wanted to go past 9 but i just wanted to make sure that the crank will be ok with everything else -

well you should be only revving out to what your cams make power until. When they start droppping of at then stop.

RS of 1.75 is teh bomb,,tasty

Milan

everyone says cams this cams that i actually think intake manifold selection specifically runner length has more of a say in where peak power will be made as to cams at least from dyno sheets ive seen

The point is not power, he is asking how high can he rev. Because it is a d series, the rod to stroke ratio is not perfect, which means you are not spreading the force evenly in both the x and y direction. One component is going to get shafted first.

Next, when you start reving high, you have to worry about the strenth of your rods. A stronger (forged) rod will help you with strength. For the top end, you have to get better cams so you actually make power past 6800, then valve springs so you dont float a valve and or have massive valve overlap, and then light weight retainors to keep roational mass down.

w3rd as long as the parts are still strong enough to do what ur asking them to do

Back