Right Side Driver Civic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TunerTike03

Is it possible to make a 96 Civic Ex a right side driver? I just thought that would be cool as hell. Just wondering....

Thanks

Is it possible?: Yes.

Is it practical?: NO!

Aside from cutting your firewall and dash up, swapping in a different steering rack, and getting all the other shit to line up, think about drive-thru windows, ATMs, and getting accustomed to shifting with your left hand.

Plus, with the mods you have to make to your firewall, the chassis will be much more prone to flexing. If all you care about is looking "cool," then go ahead. :thumbsup:

shifting with your left hand is just as easy as doing it with your right.

But yes it would be so much damn work. Youd have to pull out the dash obviously and then all of the A/C heater, wireharness, pedals, it takes a long ass time to take all shit apart. And then youd have to get the JDM dash, In car harness, if your car has power windows then the JDM door panels. Not sure but i think the locations of the engine bay fuse box get moved. The shock tower plugs get switched around most likely, new throttle cable, and if the shock towers get switched, that means a jdm engine harness or lengening your usdm a lot. PLUS all of the custom fab and planning, this type of conversion would cost a lot but would be cool. Id do it if i had money to throw away

I know, I've driven a genuine CTR. I actually liked it. But, for most people I'm sure it would be awkward.

Plus, the weirdest thing about RHD is that the blinkers are on the right hand side of the steering column. That's the hardest thing to get used to.

Yeah. It's also weird getting used to a real CTR with a GSR bottom end. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

My friend Zac bought a rolling CTR chassis last summer for 3800 bucks. He swapped in a GSR block mated to an LSD SiRII tranny and a B16 head with Skunk2 manny and CTR cams. Fucking sweet to say the least.

Unfortunately, he never did get it registered due to all the red tape involved. :(
Oh well, he traded it for a turbo z6 EG show car. Kind of cool i guess.

sounds like a nice lil setup hes got there. If you buy a right hand drive vehicle and can get it to pass smog, how do you go about making it legal? Is it legal to convert your car to RHD?

Yeah, 100% legal to convert. However, a RHD vehicle imported to the U.S. must go to State Patrol and be made sure that it has all the 5mph bumpers, and the swap is legit, and all the parts match the VIN, and the OBD is functioning, and all signals and gauges and everything works, plus it has to be tracked through customs and all the previous owners, a receipt for the car must be provided from the guy in JDM land that sold it to you, and blah, and blah blah blah. A whole bunch of stupid shit. Plus, it costs buckoo bucks to do all this too because the state has to overpay it's lazyass employees to look at your car. Another risk you run is that if they think anything is fishy about anything, they can confiscate the whole car for up to thirty days, no questions asked. It suxors my boxers.

Back