Road Course Tires! Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MXDesa

Hey guys im switching racing styles this year with the Talon and thinking of getting a bit of road course action. Now i haven't tried autocross yet, and i bet its fun, but im looking to do actual course racing. For example, open track days with the SCCA or some group like that. Now my question is, what tires has anyone here had success with and can recommend as a good Track tire. No need to be DOT approved because this car is never driven on the street. Thanks guys, and here is a couple i was looking at in 225/45/17 sizes...

Yokohama Advan A048 ($215) - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...odel=ADVAN+A048

Hoosier R3S05 ($213) - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...tireModel=R3S05

Michelin Pilot Sport ($208) - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Pilot+Sport+Cup

Nitto NT-01 ($165) - http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...&tp=Competition

All These tires are quite pricey, and i am open to LOTS of imput cause i to am on a budget. Thanks Fellas.

I have a set of advans. I havn't put em on yet so I have no clue how they are. So you plan on running 17's? A little big don't ya think?

start slow.

learn to race your car on street tires first.

score some khumo MX's or something similar. learn your car, then thing about moving up to an R-comp or full out slick.

Well the reason im going with 17's is because anything smaller wont clear the baer brakes. I already have 15 inch hoosiers and rims but unfortunately dont clear the brakes.

i also suggest Kumho MXs or BFGoodrich GeForce T/As.

Ive never personally used any of those tires nor do i know anyone with them (this is tx after...its either mickey thompson or nothin)

From what ive seen in super street, the Advans are popular, but thats my only experience w/ r-comps

Does anyone suggest a particular seller for good service and decent prices?? Thanks for your imput guys

again, i encourage you to run street tires for a while.

i've been racing for 4 years now, going on 5, and my first set of R-comps got sold to Jared with the del sol... i've yet to track a set.

You can find so much more about the car and you on a street tire than you could on an r-comp. learn to drive first. trust me.

Yeah i landed some Kuhmo MX's, im gonna take your advice. What is the worst disadvantage to running R Comps?

you rely on the extra grip rather than driving skill (id assume from my LIMITED MX experience)

driving on them is night and day.

you basically skip over a process of learning how your car reacts to certain things, and it could end up in a serious wreck with lack of experience.

Well, when you decide to go for a track tire, everyone over here uses the Toyo Proxes RA-1's. Great tire.

Quoted post[/post]]

i've been racing for 4 years now, going on 5, and my first set of R-comps got sold to Jared with the del sol... i've yet to track a set.

You can find so much more about the car and you on a street tire than you could on an r-comp. learn to drive first. trust me.

I havn't used em yet either. The only time I might used them is if I go to the drag strip again for shits and giggles. I really dont need em though, the volks with azinis kick so much ass I really have no need for the yokos. I probaly wont even use them when/If I go to the glen.

Quoted post[/post]]

you basically skip over a process of learning how your car reacts to certain things, and it could end up in a serious wreck with lack of experience.

Is this because when they finaly do break loose you are going way faster and have more inertia?

Quoted post[/post]]
start slow.

learn to race your car on street tires first.

score some khumo MX's or something similar. learn your car, then thing about moving up to an R-comp or full out slick.
Verbatim what I would have said. ++1

Quoted post[/post]]
you rely on the extra grip rather than driving skill (id assume from my LIMITED MX experience)
Yes

Quoted post[/post]]
Well, when you decide to go for a track tire, everyone over here uses the Toyo Proxes RA-1's. Great tire.
Yes, only after 5 years of open tracking did I decide to finally move to R compounds (RA-1's), awesome tire. This is after driving with Advanced groups on street tires even.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I havn't used em yet either. The only time I might used them is if I go to the drag strip again for shits and giggles. I really dont need em though, the volks with azinis kick so much ass I really have no need for the yokos. I probaly wont even use them when/If I go to the glen.

Quoted post[/post]]

Is this because when they finaly do break loose you are going way faster and have more inertia?
Yes, you'll be at a much higher rate of speed. Its best to learn your car and learn how to drive at slower speeds. Don't worry, the MX's provide plenty of grip at temp for a street tire. They're also dandy in the rain. Hell, I use them as my rain tire for the track and for driving to and from the track.

Back