!@#$# roof rust...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
i have things i need to get taken care of before the car gets its prep and paint. this being one of them. the pictures are big, so im not posting them in the thread cuz 56k would be here forever.

mirage rust

any ideas? this is the only part of the car that is rusting.

ya that is called a coral wheel it works good but for swerious rust can take too long sometimes....if i were u i would just grind it with a 5 inch pneumaitc grinder then fiberglass it and cover the fiberglass with plastic filler (bondo). I am a experienced collision repair tech and body tech so if u have any other questions feel free to pm me

The next best thing to do rather than replacing it would be to invest in a small sandbaster and a grinder, In the more serious spots grind it down with 36 grit and then spread some filler on it sand it down etc. The smaller bubbles might be able to be taken care of with a small sandblaster and then use some filler etc.

alot of the other mirage guys either cut and weld in a new panel, or have a sunroof place put in a sunroof and take care of the rest. i hate sunroofs.

i forgot to mention that i could probably jab my thumb through a few of the holes.... if you all think that bondo is still worth it, i could do that...

what about the underneath? the same? coral wheel, and some silicon in-between the metal rafters and sheet metal?

go to your local body shop supply store and order a new panel and weld it in. It is the only way to get rid of the rust forever. bondo and a grinder do not cure rust. the remove it for a short time.

im not looking for longevity. it just has to last 2 years at the most, then ill transfer to a newer mirage, a 98ish or something, since all my go faster parts fit.

so if i bite into this sucker with the coral wheel, what happens if i poke through and see daylight? do i bondo over that or weld something underneath and then bondo?

truth be told it will re bubble in a mounth or two
and roof skins are incredibly thin so i would first look into a new panel i got one for 100

i know the consequences, but i dont care...

i just want it taken care of for now, so i can spray the car black. for the year. im tired of this purple shit.

ya take the coral wheel to it or otherwise a grinder and if u end up going through just weld a peice of sheet metal in the hole from the bottom side then grind your welds and fiberglass and then "bondo it and you should be fine....if your just looking for a temp fix this is the best way to go about it. Also be sure to weld the sheet matal on underneath the roof itself so you have a low spot to fill rather than a huge hump where the patch is

its decided.

im just gonna coral wheel and weld. easiest way to get this sucker painted.

if it rusts again - oh well :lol:

Back