RSX 6 speed in a '02 Civic Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jim Truett

I have researched previous posts, and I was unable to find a definitive answer to my situation:

I have a 6 speed transmission from an RSX Type S on the way. I was wondering if anyone here has swapped one onto their K20A3? If so, are there any modifications that need to be made besides the shifter mod? Will the tranny bolt in to the Si subframe with the Si brackets, or are RSX brackets needed?

I have heard that the Si axles will work with the new tranny, but is the intermediate shaft from the RSX needed?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Wow, I've never heard of anyone putting a 6-speed on their K20A3. And I'm not really sure which brackets you're gonna need.... Keep us posted and let us know how it works out.

I'm fairly sure that the intermediate as well as the axles. The trans should bolt right up and all you have to do is make the notch for 6th gear.

Good luck and take some pics!

Steve

Originally posted by k-series@Jul 11 2003, 07:01 PM
I'm fairly sure that the intermediate as well as the axles. The trans should bolt right up and all you have to do is make the notch for 6th gear.

Good luck and take some pics!

Steve

Please specify if you are saying the Si axles and intermediate shaft will work, or if I need to source RSX parts. I am hoping to do this swap in one day because I cannot afford the downtime. I would like to have everything ready to go. I will take pics and post the procedure here.

Go hit up HybridGarage. They swapped a complete K20A2 drivetrain into a 2001+ Si. You should be able to see what to do with their writeup... just ignore the parts about the engine.

;)

I sent Port a PM a week ago, but haven't received a response. cpu519 has done the swap, and was very helpful. :thumbsup:

The tranny was a direct bolt-in. The case on my stock 5 speed and the RSX 6 speed look identical. This swap took me a little more than seven hours, due to the fact I cannot get enough power to run my compressor at my apartment. This is probably one of the best swaps for the Si outside of a full drivetrain swap or a turbo. Gears 2-5 are closer in ratio for faster acceleration, and 6th gear dropped 550 rpm at 80 mph on the freeway in relation to the Si's 5th.

If anyone else is contemplating this swap, check here: 6 Speed Install cpu519 did the swap before me, and posted the install on ephatch.com. B)

Back