rsx turboed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

ok my boy is looking to run a 2002 rsx with a turbo he wants to run at 10 psi, all i know is he has a hondata ecu and some coil over i was telling him he needs to lower his compression before he runs a turbo on it, so here is the question what can he do to get his CR lowered some with out changing his pistons all he wants is 10 psi can he change the head gasket and call it a day or what let me know thank

changing the headgasket will only get you so far, if he wants to drop his compression from the 10.2 or whatever it is stock to 9.0 he'll need to either get some new pistons or destroke the motor.

That is true too..I thought about it after I posted but I didn't feel like editing my post.

You can turbo on a 10.x to 1 CR, as long as you spend hours tuning it before running it. You'd be fine.

Originally posted by mrnice1058@Jul 24 2004, 11:53 PM
ok my boy is looking to run a 2002 rsx with a turbo he wants to run at 10 psi, all i know is he has a hondata ecu and some coil over

He has just an ECU from hondata or did it come with all the hardware/software also? If he has all that then just take it to a reputable tuner in your area and have it tuned and he'll be fine. If he wants to take an extra precaution then go ahead and throw a thicker headgasket on to lower the compression a little.

as far as i know the ecu is just plug and play i don't think he has the software to mess with the program. but this brings up a good question he has high compression and i have a b16 engine i am about to put in my civic and i know the CR is like 10.4:1 you are telling me i can run like 7 psi of boost with tunning? if so i would be a happy man i already have the turbo all i need is the down pipe let me know

If you're using a B16A the compression is 10.4:1, if it's a B16a1, a2 or a3 it's gonna be 10.2:1.

Anyway yes I am telling you that with an engine management system like hondata or AEM EMS and a tuner who knows how to tune with the EMS, you can run 7psi on a motor with completely stock sleeves and internals. I'm gonna be boosting 10 possibly even 12psi on a completely stock internal b16 with a thicker headgasket to lower the compression with the help of Hondata and the tuning of Sean Church at Church Automotive Testing. Fuel upgrades such as a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and some bigger injectors will also help.

Engine management and tuning are the key elements to keeping a motor from seeing detonation.

And a VAFC teamed up with an FMU don't count. :)

how hard is it to put on a thicker head gasket? also do they make thicker head gaskets for the rsx?

I've never worked on a K-series motor but this is how it's done on a B-series:

1. disconnect all hoses, harnesses and sensors that may not allow you to lift off the head.

2. take off valve cover and remove timing belt.

3. take torque wrench and loosen up head bolts

4. make sure the bolt in the bracket from the intake manifold to the block is out so the head can be easily taken off.

5. have a friend help you lift the cylinder head straight up off the block.
(watch the TPS sensor and IACV, on a b-series it's easy to smash them up against the firewall, I'm ASSuming you won't have that problem with a K-series cause the motor is spun around, but still be careful)

6. If this is the first time the head has ever been taken off it may smell a little weird (not really a step just letting you know)

7. remove old headgasket, (I used copper sealant on mine, you can pick a can up at autozone or pepboys) place new headgasket on (have a friend help you. Make sure the head is properly seated on the block and that everything lines up.

8. Find the correct torque specs on the head bolts for the RSX motor (you should actually do this before you even start taking the head off)and the correct sequence to torque down the bolts with a torque wrench. I don't know if theres a new HELMS or Cilton's manual out yet for the k-series or not but there should be.

9. Torque down all head bolts.

10. Put timing belt back on and make sure the timing is correct.

11. Reattatch all hoses, harnesses and sensors you may have removed in the begining.

12. Add any anti-freeze/water solution that may have been lost when removing radiator hoses and you're all set.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then it's probably best to have someone who does or a dealer do it for you. I don't think I forgot anything but if I have and someone catches it please post it up. I personally don't know too much about the k-series motors but I've heard they don't use a normal timing belt and they can be a bitch to work on if you don't have experience, so I would recommend having the dealer do it, yeah it may cost some $$$ but it's better than risking your entire motor because something was done wrong.

Also Cometic may have a thicker headgasket out for the RSX, not sure though check out www.cometic.com

Back