Running Rich

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

What does it mean to "run rich"? and how can you tell if you are running rich? just out of plain curiosity

It means that your air fuel ratios are <13.0:1 (round figure, but that is a rich AFR).

Check your exhaust pipe. If its realitively new, you wil see soot on your pipe. Also your engine might glug at WOT.

more fuel than air.

look at your rear bumper, for black soot. also, watch your fuel gauge, it'll go down faster.

but, his answer is more technical.

or, if your running rich like me, your car might blow huge fucking fire balls when you shift at high rpm's.

you can solve this by getting more air into your engine, or advancing your timing a bit. there are a couple more options, but those are the simplest.

does this add any strain to the motor? adjusting timing will help fix the problem, right? what options do i have to get more air into the engine?

not strain...but it will waste gas and not achieve full power potential

can this cause the car to stall. example: while driving in 3rd at high rpm (5800) and holding the gas it stopped responding. it kinda like choked. felt like something got sucked up and it wouldn't go. when i put the car in 5th it went fine. for the record, I have no cat. haven't had one for a year.

yeah, it can bog out if your running rich. if you add timing, you should be okay.

Back