running terrible

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

so i am driving home from school and the car starts to miss really badly. and when i stop at a light it will not rev up at all. Its really weird because it idles fine but will not go above idle. it will get a slight rev sporatically but nothing significant. So i end up stalling it by this time the light has changed so i start it again and the car runs fine, i get through the intersection and pull into the gas station. so i shut it off and take a look under the hood check the wires and look for something weird i guess.

So i decide to try it again i pull out and head back towards home.... anyway it does the same thing 3 more times on the way home. each time that i shut it off and wait a minute and start it up again it runs fine for a few kilometres. and then nothing no response to gas pedal.

I checked the cap, rotor and plugs all had normal wear on them nothin serious. one plug had some oil on it which i am already aware of but i dont think that one plug would cause the car to stop running completely. i have completely lost a cylinder on my other civic and drove it quite some distance without much trouble.

I have an engine to put in it but i dont have any time to do it for another month or so. So i dont want to spend too much money fixing this unless it is something other than the engine.i

I am baffled right now can anyone help?

if it jumped a tooth i dont think it would run fine at all after shutting it off. and most of the time when it jumps it will smoke like hell(black smoke from incomplete burning)

Im thinkin somethin in the fuel system

well i got an extra fuel filter so i will try that first and buy some injector cleaner. what are the chances its a fuel pump? i thought they usually either work or dont.

well its not the fuel filter. my boss said that he had a problem like mine once where the fuel pump was overheating and would stop working once it got warm enough. which might make sense

The Ignitor in the distributor have been known to act like that. Too hot, cut out. Cool off, work fine, etc.

They are common among Accord, Prelude, and Civics. I believe they interchange, if you have a dizzy lying about.

Quoted post[/post]]
The Ignitor in the distributor have been known to act like that. Too hot, cut out. Cool off, work fine, etc.

They are common among Accord, Prelude, and Civics. I believe they interchange, if you have a dizzy lying about.
Hmm.. I have the same problem and I thought it was my cat converter distorting when hot or my tps or iacv. it could really be this? At a light, mine would go down to like 400 rpm somtimes or just cut out when it goes there. and the whole front end would vibrate. But when i restart it its fine until another light.

i am also having a similar problem my car will run fine yet once warmed up idle horribly and miss and sometimes stall.

You need to check fuel pressure when it does this. I have seen this problem when the pump is going bad.

So it could be the fuel pump? hmm something to try... Also what tab said about the dizzy something to try out. time to experiment!

Quoted post[/post]]
So it could be the fuel pump? hmm something to try... Also what tab said about the dizzy something to try out. time to experiment!

it's not experimenting. lol. it's called maintenence. j/k. try the fuel pump, you might have something clogging your tank. but like they said before, check your fuel pressure before you start swapping in parts.

so i dropped the tank... and its full of rust! like full. the gas is discoloured and the sock on the end of the fuel pump had a paste of rust on it. So i am assuming that is what was wrong the car. thanx guys

Back