Runny paint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Well I got my CRX all painted and used all the paint up because of all the times I had to redo a few sections from me messing it up, anyway. There is one panel where the paint ran and I don't want to buy more paint just for that small section. Can I sand down the paint with fine grit and buff it out, or will that not work good? There is 4 layers underneath already from me redoing it so many times, I couldn't get that section right tho.

you can try to wet snad it and buff it out but chances are if its a good sized run you will sand through the clearcoat ariund it before you get it to completely go away...but your not out anything for trying cause otherwise u just got to do it over again so give her a whilr and if u have any other questions feel free to ask

I didn't apply any clear coat, just base coats and primer. So if I manage to sand out the runs, without going down to the primer, think it will buff out? Thanks again!

ummm first let me ask you why havent you cleared it yet? well yes you can wetsand basecoatbut ahhh basecoat does not shine what so ever so are you using a single stage paint or are you infact using basecoat/clearcoat? also most basecoats must be resanded entirely beofre applying a clearcoat after a certain period of time..so depending on how long its been you may have to resand the whole car of you plan on clearing it at all. And also might i add if you do plan on clearing it and you had a run in the basecoat your gonna get a HELL of a run in the clearcoat because it is much more difficult to spray without running it or making it "dry" which is to light of a coat and it doesnt shine it looks dry so to speak

I am not sure as to what kind of paint it was, I am at work at the moment....I can see my reflection in the paint tho. I had to mix in a hardener with the paint so maybe I don't need to apply a clear coat unless I want to? I am new to painting if you couldn't tell. When I sand down the base coat and buff it out in other areas where it was slightly ruff it came out ok. I was just wondering about the runs.

Sounds like you are using single stage paint. What you want to do is sand down the run with minimal sanding to the surrounding area. A wetsanding pad is nice for this, but not needed. Sand perpendicular to the run. Don't sand in the direction of the run. I'd start with 1000 grit wet/dry paper wetsanding. Bring the run down to flush, then buff it out. As long as you don't sand the surrounding area down, you shouldn't go through. Definitely use plenty of soapy water for the process, it makes the sanding so much easier, and keeps the paper unclogged longer.

Acrylic Enamel is single stage. ;)

yep, it was some type of enamel...I'll try and sand down the runs. and see what happens!

Back