rusted on the bottom

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rfalls86

RexRacer
hey i was just wondering if the bottom of my car is rusted is it better to just toss the whole car or redo it?? cus i really wanna spend alot of money into my crx but if the bottom is rusted is it gonna be a big pain to fix it?

does anyone know anything about how much it would cost to get the rust off the bottom?? or how you do it at least? if so lemme know?

You need to be more specific with what you're asking. Are you talking about the actual underside of the car, like the part you can't see unless you put the car on a lift? Or are you talking about the body panels near the bottom of the car?

If you're talking about rust on the undercarriage, you can remove that by sanding or using a wirebrush, and then I'd suggest spraying it with some kind of undercoating. Honestly though, any older car that's in an area that has harsh winters is going to have some rust on the undercarriage. If it's just surface rust, like no holes rotted in it or anything I wouldn't worry about it much since you can't even see it anyway.

Now if you're talking about rust on the actual painted bodypanels, then yeah, that's gonna be an expensive fix, quite possibly more than the worth of the car. If it has bad body rust, and that bothers you, then you might want to consider looking for a car with a cleaner chassis.

yea its on the undercarriage...awesome thx for your reply man...ill wire brush the bejesus out of her

If you're gonna do that I'd also recommend that you put some undercoating on it when you're done. You can get it in spray cans, cans that you can brush on, or have a place that does undercoating do it for you. If you just remove the rust and leave it like it is it will probably be back in a year or so.

Good luck! :D

ill get the pros to undercoat it for me...is the undercoat like...do they cover the exhaust with that?? or do they leave the exhaust ?? cus i dont think they should do the exhaust...but yeah..i dunno ill see...thx for the info man! :D

If you want to do it correctly, have it sandblasted. Then have someone spray on an undercoating. You can undercoat it yourself with do it yourself spray cans of bed liner/fender liner crap. Its horrible to work with, its sticky, its ugly, but it works great for sealing out moisture/salt/rust.

I don't think you'll get all of the rust out with just a wire brush. You're going to want nice clean metal before you coat it, or it will just come back.

for budget i'd recommend a drill with a wire wheel, and then paint it with a rust inhibitor, like rustoleum... then spray on the bed liner coating

bed liner in a rattle can >>> undercoating in a rattle can...

i dont care bout budget...i guess if i took it to an undercoatings place they would do the rust removal and the undercoat eh? imma phone that place

Back