s13 tach not working

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECPOWER

I'm buying a 92 240sx w/ sr20det done, and the tach does not work, any ideas of why it may not work? The seller says it worked previous to swap.
Any suggestions?

idk much about them, that's why im trying to learn, anybody know a good nissan site?

Also isnt the vss for the speedo and not the tach?

cuz the stock tachs dont read the sr20 input.

you have to unsoder some connections and then resoder some others

I dont remember what off the top of my head.

apparently, you have to do some tachtical soldering. :p

bad pun...and i dont know why i thought the vss had something to do with the tach. I really do know the dizzy sends that signal...

Quoted post[/post]]
cuz the stock tachs dont read the sr20 input.

you have to unsoder some connections and then resoder some others

I dont remember what off the top of my head.
So just re-wire some stuff?
Is there any way to just swap out the entire cluster for the tach to work?
And do you know where I can find some sort of diagram to re-wire it?
And would this be re-wiring behind the cluster?

Start simple - at the signal wire on the dizzyitself. Then do a continuity test through the line to the gauge connector. Finally, check the gauge.

The SR20 swap really shouldn't impact the tach unless the physical connection wasn't made. I have an SR20DE in stock form if you need reference. (1993)

I'm more than likely buying an aftermarket tach along w/ boost gauge, autometer cobalt. Backlit LED which isnt bright like the others.
So I will need to know which wire on the dizzy is the signal wire for the tachometer

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm more than likely buying an aftermarket tach along w/ boost gauge, autometer cobalt. Backlit LED which isnt bright like the others.
So I will need to know which wire on the dizzy is the signal wire for the tachometer
one way to find the wire is use a test light.

hook the ground clip to the tach wire, hook up the power wires and ground wires up, and use the test light to find the wire that gives you rpm signal to the tach

Quoted post[/post]]

Cobalts, even when digital, are brightly lit around the trim just like the other gauges.

The D-PIC gauge in Cobalt is neat though.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
one way to find the wire is use a test light.

hook the ground clip to the tach wire, hook up the power wires and ground wires up, and use the test light to find the wire that gives you rpm signal to the tach
haha, yeah, but i was just wondering if anyone know off hand which one was the signal wire.
that is probably what i will have to do.

anyone know what a good nissan - tech site is?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Cobalts, even when digital, are brightly lit around the trim just like the other gauges.

The D-PIC gauge in Cobalt is neat though.
I dont want to spend too much money on gauges, but I want something that looks good.

Get a hole saw

cut out the entire tach

fit in a 4" analog 10k tach

wire

done.

So, do you know the actual wiring that is needed to get the stock one to work, i dont want to cut out the stock one, also the water temp gauge doesnt work, i was told that the sr20det's don't have a temp sender? Is that correct?

Back