Safe Rev Limit with barely built car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by B18HyBriD@Jul 29 2003, 04:47 PM
I don't mean to be make this topic stray, but B16.... "detonation" look up the meaning of the word.. In the racing scene we tend to associate it with low octane /w high c.r, pinging, etc.. the whole nine.

what I was getting at basically is HIGH rpms = detonation! Kaboom, blowup... whatever you want to call it it is not good for the motor.

after kaboom is rebuilt... Get my point. Thank you!

sorry if i came across rude to other members... I am a nice guy, really.

well, we are talking about motors. if you use the word detonation when talking about motors, you should mean it in the way i explained it. to make it unambiguious use "blow up" instead
:)

Hey guys i fixed one problem.... the clutch. I took the whole tranny off and looked at the clutch. The throw out bearing was not lubricated. Now it engages at the top and disengages at the very top. It is light as a feather and shifts like a dream... Thanks for the help guys. Any ideas with the starting or the check engine. Could the starting be the way it is because it is being broken in and needs to level everythign out? I tried resetting the ecu, but i get the same check engine code (6). I already changed the sensor and checked the wiring. Is there anything else associated with code 6?

I'll keep you guys ipdated

I heard that it is bad for the starter to just keep cranking the car? Is this true? IF so I a really need help in fixing my starting problem? Any ideas?

Oh and thanks a ton word for addressing all my questions. I tried all your suggestions. The engine still has that starting problem even if i leave the key in in aux for 10+ seconds. It just cranks a lot and then finally turns over. The CEL is still on. Is there anything else associated with code 6 besides the coolant level sensor? Isn't there like 2 stages of vtec? I heard something about primary and secondary or something like that? Shouldn't i hear or feel a difference at least when vtec kicks in? As for the idle, where is the idle screws? Is there an idle adjustment AND an idle set screw? I see two screws on the throttle body. One in the front and one on the side of it. Which is which? I do not see a screw on the top of the TB. Any other ideas?

what injectors are your running? i think you should upgrade those. on the endyn website they had a similar build to yours B20VTEC w/ 12:1 comp. and they had to run 550's. you should check out the endyn website, but i don't know the addy for it.

did you reset the ecu yet. if you did the CEL should go off, unless your coolant actually is low.

i bet you probably need to upgrade that fuel pump too.

as far as two stages of VTEC i think you heard about the secondary runners on the GSR intake manifold. basically the runners allow the intake manifold to make torque down low and make good power on top two. unless your running an intake mani from a gsr you shouldn't have to worry about it. but the GSR ecu may be looking for the secondary runners when vtec kicks in, but i don't think that should cause a problem.

hey have you check out your timing yet, a cloged injector, it sounds liek you have a problem with etheir spark or fuel. A clogged inject caused a simialr problem in my car, as did a bad cap thta caused a waek spark,

Thanks for the help guys. As for the CEL. It did not go out. I do not have low coolant and i changed the sensor already. Is there anything else associted with CEL code 6 or the circuit. Could it be the coolant temperature sensor. As for the injectors. I am using 240 ccs. If that is the problem, what other symptons can i look for? It runs fine when it gets warmed up. It doesnt cut out or bog down or anything. It just has that problem starting when its been sitting there for a long time. Same thing for the cap or rotor off the distributor or clogged injector. If that is the problem wouldn't it drive funny or messed up? I have messed with the timing and this setup now is the best i can get it to start. At most other timing advancements i can not get the car to start.

Back