safe to run stock ecu?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

Ok i have just finished building my motor but its not running yet and i was reading about breaking in engines and i read that I should get tuned right away before doing doing anything else with my engine. It said that the motor could get messed up within the first few minutes because the fuel mixture is not good. My steup is a B18c1 with P30 pistons, CTR cams, ITR valve springs, Skunk2 I/M and JDM ITR header. Everything else is stock. I have a stock gsr ecu and im wondering if it is safe to drive a 11.6 CR engine on a ECU made for 10 flat?

i would recommend no- more compression obviously requires more fuel- otherwise you're not benfitting from the increased compression and are running lean

lean is no good

so i should just put it together then without even running it tow it to somewhere to tune and they can tune it and break it in there?

what kind of fuel management are you planning on running later? i would "dump" some more fuel in via that for your break in, then take it to a dyno to get the a/f consistent across all rpm range

yeah that's what I was going to recommend- Just get some extra fuelinto the cylinders to compenstae for the higher compression ratio and heat

be warned, like all piggybacks, the VAFC is a potentially dangerous tool. You will change both fuel and timing using it.

Remember:
-Anytime you richen fuel, you take away timing.
-Anytime you lean fuel, you add timing.

Especially if you have the knock sensor connected, the GSR ECU should be fine to use for breaking / and / or driving to get the car tuned better. If you're really worried about it, I'd add 4% fuel across the board non-vtec and 6% when in vtec. The stock ECU runs the car ragged ass rich with pretty conservative timing up top, so I wouldn't really worry too mcuh about the changes from compression.

You really might want to think about Uberdata, Crome or Hondata for tuning the car - NA cars benefit a lot more from timing changes than fuel changes, and the VAFC will not let you adjust both independently.

yeah i was thinking about uberdata and hondata but what is the difference between the two? and i was reading that some people tune with a wideband o2 sensor and uberdata. This guy was tuneing it and he was tuneing it so that the A/F ratio was like 12.5:1 but he has a supercharger. what would i tune to with my setup if i went that way?

thanks

Originally posted by highperboi@Sep 23 2004, 02:12 PM
yeah i was thinking about uberdata and hondata but what is the difference between the two? and i was reading that some people tune with a wideband o2 sensor and uberdata. This guy was tuneing it and he was tuneing it so that the A/F ratio was like 12.5:1 but he has a supercharger. what would i tune to with my setup if i went that way?

thanks
[post=393977]Quoted post[/post]​

Depends on where you make the most power- there's no golden universal air/fuel ratio that works well for all engines when you're going for max power.

im not going for max power yet i just want it to run smooth and safe right now until i can get enough money to tune it

if you want to be safe, just don't drive the car hard. 3k rpms, and low throttle won't peg your car lean or rich, and total timing down low can get REAL high, with no ill side effects.

what do you mean by total timing down low can get real high? and i dont think i can stay under 3k since im trying to break it in. since im going 10CR to 11.6 and its a 16% up in compression would it be safe to say that it needs 16% more gas? cuz i need to drive it to the tunner and it is like 30 miles away.

Back