Sand down base coat before clear?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sanding the drip down will only reduce the height of it. Because of the metallic flake in the paint it will look different if you just simply sand the spot where it dripped. So your either going to
A.) Have to live with it or
B.) Respray that area after sanding it.
Looks good though!

Ya the passenger side is bad because of the amount of paint that dripped, so I am going to have to sand it. I don't think another coat would hurt it anyway.

It looks like your doing a LOT better on your coverage and spray pattern. If you have a problem with it "zebra striping" from the metallic, try spraying a coat or two at a 45 degree angle opposed to a left to right motion.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
^ lines indicate spraying motion as opposed to your traditional pattern like this
--------------------
--------------------
Hope you get the point.

well without the right experience and knowledge the spraying in another direction will NOT fix the zebra striping it will only make the stripes go in a different direction. what you need to do if you experience this si to cut down the pressure at your gun a few psi and run the distance from the panle while you spray a little bit further away also you will want to go a little bit slowrr, be very steady and even with your coat , THIS should take care of any zebra striping you may encounter. This is called cust coating. it is in order to lay all the metallics in uniform

I didn't know it was metallic, the paint is Prowler Black? Maybe there is hehe. Well After I sprayed the paint this afternoon, it got rid of the stripes, I ran the paint a little bit thinner and tried as best possible to keep the gun at the right distance and perpendicular like you guys said. It fixed the problem! Thanks! I am trying to find a place around here that sells new paint cups before I put the clear on.Found a place that sells them

thats cool, glad we could help. one thing tho is make sure that you know the cup you roder is gonna fit your gun....not just any cupwill go on any gun. Waht your best bet would prob be is to just go to where you bought it and see if you can get a replacement cup for it.

Back