Sattelite internet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flydex28

So I move to my new place and find out there is no dsl or cable internet available out there, and I really dont think i can go back to dial up...ever. So my question is has anyone ever used that sattelite internet before. We called one place and you have to buy the equipment for like $300.00 which I guess I can swing if its any good.

its not great, but definitely better than dial-up. a friend of mine from high school has it, and he had a 300 ping in CS servers i created, while everyone else had 20-30 pings.

Your latency will suck more ass than a post-op prosititute.

yeah, the technology is just not there yet. got watch AntiTrust :p the compression alogorithms are tough to make :p

i enjoyed that movie. it was definitely interesting....didnt have the topless angelina jolie that made hackers famous, but hey, still not a HORRIBLE movie (until you start talking technical).

Is there any company around your area that does microwave?

Its a line of site type technology that uses micro waves to transmite data. The install fee will probably be around the same price but it will be alot faster than satilite.

microwave is at least 100x the cost, i'm sure. lol

Here is a price sceme for a company here in Spokane. May be alittle diffrent for you folks on the east side but eh. The initial cost is alittle up there but if its a choice between satilite and microwave, microwave would be the better choice.

AIR-PIPE High Speed Internet

OK so I couldnt find anything on microwave internet but the sattelite internet here is called bluwave or something like that and she said it was $49.99 a month for 512kb...$69.99 a month for 1mb...and $79.99 a month for 1.5mb. I think this is pretty slow isnt it?

Not sure what latency is

Your not sure what latency is in general, or you dont know what the latency numbers are for the satilite provider. Any thing is better than dial up in my opinion but it depends on what you want to use it for. Back in the day im pretty sure there was quit a bit of lag (latency) when just surfing the net. But agian it depends on what your doing.

No I dont know what that means in general. I know it wont be as fast as cable or DSL but if its a lot slower I dont really want to waste my money as the make you buy the equipment for $300.00 and then you sign a year contract. I mainly just go to different websites to read stuff and I like downloading stuff like music and stuff. This is what has me most concerned.

Latency is the time it takes for a packet to go from its source to its destination.

Back