sc61 or t3/ 60-1 for b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BWarned

Alright guys i need help i cant decide between these 2 turbos for my setup. right now the motor is stock but have plans for building it so i want my setup to be good for after the build. from what i've heard the sc61 will spool sooner but i want more top end than quicker spool. any help would be apreciated.

This is kind of a difficult question to answer without a power goal.

Whats your power goal in the future?

Oh yea sorry about that in the future i would like around 450-500. could u help me out with what kind of spool difference there would be too.

From precision Turbo & Engine said:
Precision Turbochargers

Precision’s line of turbochargers are engineered specifically for today’s wide array of vehicles. Standard SC series turbos feature a T31 Hi Flow turbine housing with a CNC machined Precision T04E style compressor cover that's been redesigned for maximum efficiency. Provisions for an integral wastegate are optional.

Ten different models are available for power levels ranging from 450 to 700 horsepower!

As you can see, there are TEN different models for this turbo alone. All of which will yield different characteristics such as spool time and efficiency at certain power levels.

Now onto the Garrett turbos. I'm going to make a few suggestions here. Either go with this turbo:
Garrett GT3017R, more commonly known as a "GT30R"
From Garrett Honeywell said:
Ball bearing CHRA (Compressor and turbine housings sold separately) * Oil & Water-cooled bearing system * Customizable with compressor and turbine housing kits * This unit is outline interchangeable on turbine side with GT3076R and GT3582R units * Ideal for medium displacement engines making up to 460 hp * Ideal for twin-turbo applications on engines making up to 900 hp * Turbine housing fl anges are outline interchangable with GT2554R (471171-3), GT2560R (466541-1), GT2860RS (739548-1) * The compressor housing kits includes compressor housing, adapter ring, retaining ring, O-rings, clamps and bolts

Or if you're looking for upper 400's or low 500's in the future:
Garrett GT3582R, more commonly known as the GT35R
From Garrett Honeywell said:
Ball bearing turbocharger * Oil & Water-cooled bearing system * High Performance BCI-18 Compressor and UHP Turbine * Perfect for high-horsepower, smaller displacement engines at elevated boost levels * T3 turbine inlet flange and 4-bolt turbine outlet flange * Turbine housing is cast from high-nickel "Ni-Resist" material for extreme applications

The second Garrett turbo will most likely make power at a slightly LOWER range in the RPM's than the first. As far as the comparison between these two Garrett's and the precision, its a toss up on spool time.

EDIT: And just in case you feel like doing your own research, here's the links I looked at.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/

http://www.precisionturbo.net/

There you go.

Thanks alot for your help. yea i had looked at the gt series but they are a little out of my budget.

No problem. Ah yes, I forgot to ask you about your budget. What are you looking to spend on just the turbo?

i was looking at no more than $850 for just the turbo.

thanks for the link. what kind of a/r would u recomend for the exhaust side, like i said before i don't really want a really quick spooling turbo so i have better traction on low end my friend has a t3/t04e 60 trim and is having all kinds of problems hooking up.

Has anyone else had any experience with either one of these turbos that could help me out??

Back