Seeking replacement for 86 DX hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dhlii

I have a 1986 DX hatchback. It is my 4th Honda, and has been a wonderful car for 21 years. The body and interior are pretty beat up but it has always worked great and still does.
If I needed to go on a trip and wanted to be sure to get there I would pick the Honda. All my newer cars have let me down at one time or another. The Honda can be push started on almost invisible hills - nothing stops it.
But I have been told by 3 different garages - including a small one that specializes in Honda's that the frame is rusting out irrepairably and no one will inspect it this year.
I need to replace it fairly cheaply. I would like the same thing - only enough newer to hope to get atleast 5 years out of it. As my 86 is in as good a mechanical condition as it is in bad condition cosemtically, I am also trying to look for something that has a high probabily of being able to re-use much of the DX's parts should I need to.
Can I get some sugestions ?

ok for starters when you say irrepairable rust....post some pictures pleaaaaase....so we can see this rust

and if it is irrepairable (wait for some of the others to state opinions) then you just just buy a shell and swap the parts (engine, seats, dash)

I am not looking to debate the rust. I live in PA. The car must pass inspection.

I have done a Honda engine swap before- on a 76, so I am not a total twit. But I am not looking to do so again - until I have to. I love my Honda, but my passion is not cars.

I am just looking to buy a newer Honda cheap, and I am asking for advice here about what 10-15 year old models are likely to be to make use of most of my existing parts - when/if I should need them.

I have tried looking through the FAQ's here, but information on 86's seems to be sparse.

well if your planning on doing this i suggest just buying a 4th generation civic....

they look close enough and the parts are pretty much fully compatible

Thanks that is what I was after.

I find that parts you have spares for, tend not to fail. It is a Karmic thing. I am perectly happy to keep the major components from my 86 lying around as a talisman. I do this with computers all the time. I also find that equipment knows when you can threaten it credibly. My laptop listens when I tell it that it had better behave or I will dismember it peice by peice and scatter its parts to the wind - it knows I can and will do it. My cars know that I have done major work before, but that unless forced to I probably won't.

For reference, how much harder will it be to move major parts to a 5th Gen. ?

I have an 86 hatch and an 87 crx...both SI's, and for sale for the right price...in CT.

Back