seized bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
i'm working on a friends car and his front left fork on the bottom of the strut won't let the lower bolt go. it's wedge in the bushing. we've tried everything from insane amounts of hammering to penetrating oil soaking in over night, to even starting to drill it out which hasn't worked. you can't even rotate the bolt more than a 1/4 turn.

any ideas?

this one bolt has taken hours and hours of time and i've never seen anything like it.

im suprised the bolt doesnt work..use a jack to get the pressure off of it and try taking it out then. A drill should definetly cure that problem. Just make sure the bit your using is for metal.

im having the EXACT same problem. except on the rear strut of my crx. my best guess is that the bolt is rusted to the metal sleeve in the bushing. i tried using a breaker bar on it and i ended up ripping the bushing to shreds its completely detached from the LCA, the bolt is still attached to the metal sleve though. im going to have to end up taking the whole LCA off with the strut attached and try to work with it from there. i expect that i will have to cut the strut off (which i dont care about really since im replacing it any way). just becareful not to mess anything up like i did cause now i gotta replace that bushing.

Take a torch to the nut and heat it up for a few minutes, shouldn't give you much problem after that.

john, i think he means even with the nut off the other side of the bolt, it still wont come through. at least thats what i got out of it, and thats the problem im having as well.

:huh: :blink: Hmmmm, never heard of that. I mean, it would have to be beyond crusted in there. I always use a small hammer pop it flush, then tap it through with a screwdriver.

yea thats what i thought, but read what i just typed in my first response in this thread, ive hammered the shit out of it and nothing, wheni finallly got it turning with a breaker bar, it didnt do anything but tear up the bushing where the shock connects to the LCA, like half the bushing just spins inside the LCA with the metal sleeve stuck to the bolt, ill get some pics of it if i can. everything is still together, but the metal sleeve and like half he rubber are no longer physically attached to the LCA. it really sucks cause i ddint wanna have to replace bushings :angry:

what's weird is his tokico illumina struts were just put in a month or two ago. and no problems then.

i've never had car problems like i've had with accords....

tell me about it, im getting pissed at the crx, everytime i go to work on it, no matter how much planning i do, something breaks or doesnt work.

eh, what can we do, its the world we live in with modding cars, lol.

I had the same problem. The teg that I was stripping, someone asked for the rear LCA's. So I go to take them off, driver side comes off in maybe 20 minutes. I go to the passenger, I brake two of the bolts, and then the one that attaches to the rear subframe, the bolt was seized to the bushing. I tried everything from trying to nuke the bushing with the tourch to a shit load of penatrating oil. I used a braker bar and a ratchet, and just kept on moving it 10 degrees at a time. After I had moved it at least one rotation, I was tired as hell, and let the thing go, it just spun back to normal. I finally said fuck it, and left it on the car.

Back