Seized Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22si

Whats im fairly new to this site just lookin for a lil help now so if you guys could it would help heres my problem i got a 2000 civic si i purchased a h22 from jdmhondaparts i got everything wiredup profressional and comes time to turn the motor and it doesnt so the bottom end is seized i think the rings seized to the wall im just lookin for the cheapest but most realiable way out im open for any options

:cliffs:
ATF in the cylinders, breaker bar, crank bolt, patience, back and forth, MORE PATIENCE

READ CAREFULLY BEFORE TRYING THIS TECHNIQUE

alright

tell us what you did to confirm that the lower end was seized...

if it is infact seized, then this trick may work for you
but you NEED PATIENCE with it...

first check to make sure your timing marks are correct, you want to make sure it didn't jump time and smash the valves, cause that could make the motor not turn over as well...

if you are confident that its the lower end then take out the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with ATF, yea, thats right, automatic transmission fluid...
then let it sit for a day, yea a WHOLE DAY

now you need a big ass breaker bar with a socket the size of the crank bolt...

the next step is what takes the real patience...
you slowly need to try and turn the crank, back and forth, back and forth...
when i started on a seized motor i could barely get it to move like 1 degree, and then i kept working it back and forth and i got to 2 degrees, and then 3, then 4

it takes a lot of time and patience to get the motor to fully turn over again, but the ATF should do the trick...

this was done on a saturn that was starved of oil and locked up TIGHT...

you might have to use a pipe on the breaker bar to get it to start moving
and you want to turn it until you run into resistance, then go back the other way, you DO NOT WANT TO FORCE IT... it will require force, but you need to know how much is too much

the key is SLOW AND REPETATIVE, back and forth, and if it doesn't budge after a day then give it another... this has been proven to work so trust me... best of luck

Make sure nobody left a screwdriver in the ring gear on the flywheel to keep it from spinning :lol: . Sorry just being a smart ass. Best of luck getting that thing unstuck. You might have the best luck just rebuilding the bottom end with some new rings and bearings.

you could try callin the company and see what they say.. might work something out for you .. never know! instead of tryin to tear it apart 1st... givem a call.. what could it hurt?

all motors tend to lock up when they sit for a long time.

remove the arpk plugs.. dump a little bit of oil down each cyl.

turn over by hand until it gats easier.

if it doesn't, you got more serious problems...

they usually have a start up gaurantee on the engine. my engine sat for 2 years and started on first try/engine rotation.

yea i called the company its jdmhonda parts they said the engine sat for too long so best of luck to you and i really dont feel like goin threw legal matters and all that over a moor i just wanna get this thing running i was wonderin if i just got a h23 block and pu the h22 crank in it and put a higher compression head gasket on how would that run

If the ATF doesn't work you can also try some Brake Fluid, that shit will take paint off your car so be careful. it should breakdown the carbon and gunk in the rings
Just substitute the ATF For brake fluid and follow the same procedure as above.

Good Luck,JIM

The ATF trick is your best option. A good penetrating lubricant :giggles: would also work very well in this situation. I prefer JB 80. Same deal as the ATF. Spray some in each cylinder, and leave it for a day. Also, pop off the valve cover(since it doesn't take long), check to see if your valves are oily or rusty. With the valve cover off, you'll have no problem looking at the cam gears and checking the valve timing. If the cylinder walls are pitted, I'd sue for your money back after giving them a chance to make it right. If not, then you should be able to break it loose and fire it up.

One other thing. Make sure one of the cylinders isn't full of fluid. I doubt that would happen, but hydraulic lock wouldn't let that engine move at all.

if it is hydrolock can i still break it free and once i do end freeing the motor up is it goin to run fine ar smoke like a bandit and crawl like a turtle

if it does have hydro lock, crank the motor over (after you get it freed) with the spark plugs out. the fluid will be ejected from the cylinders. i'm sure it will run like shit for the first few minutes.

hey guys thanks for alll the advice i tryed everything you guys said and stilll no go so i took the head off last night and there was white gunk like a inch and half thick on top of the #4 piston its alll over the bottom of the head it come out of the header it was alll over the #4 cylinder it actually was kinda gross so we cleaned it all out and gave it a little top hone come to find out that theres little chunks missin from inside of the cylinder walls so my question is whats my cheapest way out i was considering a h23 vtec but ive heard that compression aint that great but i dont know i need to get this thing goin so anything will help thank you

Back