Self Painted Cars? Opinions please?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PBproject09

How hard is it to do a decent job on painting your own car, if you sand and prime the car? Rent a sprayer, or just get it done somewhere?

Lots and Lots of work....lots. Unless you wanna look like a fool who put nice new paint after the village idiot did your body work

Biggest problem with Hondas are the door....they need a lot of TLC and prep...period. I see so many horrible jobs (you can see by the rollercoaster waves and dirt bike jumps on the door)

90+% of the job is preperation. You need to find a friend or someone to help lead you towards getting the body work done.

Depending on your car....save yourself 6-30 hrs for body work prep (but you can do it as you please).

The painting part is a piece of cake in comparison to the preperation (but you should rent a booth)

So to answer your question....it is VERY hard to do a DECENT job painting your car

Its VERY easy to do a CRAPPY job painting your car

it IS ALOT of hard work to do yourself, but it can be done. The benefit of doing it yourself is 1. learning something new 2. knowing you did it yourself. 3. getting others to pay you to paint their cars (thus completely making your own paint job free).bad points,1.doing it yourself like I said it's hard work and personally I can't have anyone help me at this point due to fear of the sanding through the clear.... 2. reassembly, im still color sanding but am dreading putting everything back together.I built my own ghetto paint booth with 10x12 plastic sheets and a staple gun, it worked well it not perfect but it was never meant to be. I read up probably 2 months on learning how tp spray and adjust the paint gun itself, I practiced with water instead of paint beforehand to get used to spraying (this did in helping prevent runs and sags as water is definitely not paint..I could go on and on. i'm not plugging RSW but here's my paint thread there.The civic!, gets painted - RacingSouthwest

Back