Sensor identification question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

snozepp147

hey, i'm wiring up my jdm b16a with my d16y8 harness. most of the stuff is plug and play but i don't know what this one sensor is.

its below the intake manifold and right below the knock sensor, to the upper left of the oil filter and right above the oil pressure sensor. its got 2 pins. here's two pictures of it. its the green thing- it has a plug on the b16 harness but i dont know if i'd have to wire in that into my d16 harness or not. thanks in advance

engineswap044.jpg

engineswap042.jpg

I coule be mistaken, but it may just be another water temp sensor. . . I don't think you have to wire it up, unless you dont have the sensor on the thermostat housing.

I'm fairly certain it is a thermosensor. But your car probably has one on the radiator or right next to the water outlet. The only other thing it could possible be is a thermoswitch, which is used to turn your radiator fan on and off. So, if your temp gauge is working and your fan it turning on and off, you have nothing to worry about.

That's the fan switch. 92-newer vehicles had the fan switch on the thermostat housing, so if your car is newer than a 92, you'll have to either: A. extend the wires from the switch that's on the thermostat housing; or B. use your D-series thermostat housing (which will require you to grind about a half a millimeter off of the side of it for it to fit on the B-series motor). The easiest thing to do is to just extend the 2 wires and use the plugs that should have come on your B16 engine harness.

If you do choose to extend the wires, be sure that you have the polarity correct...it's virtually impossible to tell if you've got it on correctly or not. To tell if you do, once you get everything wired up, hold the car at around 1500rpm until the temp gauge starts to rise substantially. About this time, the fan should kick on (note: the fan will not kick on at idle, you have to hold it at around 1500rpm or so and get the engine to around 220 degrees for the fan to kick on). If the temp. gauge gets pretty high, and the fan doesn't kick on, let the engine cool off and switch the wires.

As to the 2 posts above me saying you don't need it, you do. The OBD0 B16's did NOT have any other fan switch, and without this properly wired, your fan will not (or should not, rather) engage.

Wire it up.

Back