sensor problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bago'ong billy

i did a swap. 95 gsr motor into 2000 civic. im getting no spark from the dizzy. it fired up before but now wont start. im getting codes 1 and 6 which is the o2 and the ect. can either one of these prevent the car from starting.

provide more information as to what is wired, how... etc the only thing anyone can tell you right now is that something is wrong with yoru 02 sensor lol. The more information you can add the better the chance we can get it right the first time

Originally posted by mdlax1@Dec 22 2004, 02:21 PM
provide more information as to what is wired, how... etc the only thing anyone can tell you right now is that something is wrong with yoru 02 sensor lol. The more information you can add the better the chance we can get it right the first time
[post=435920]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, i used the 2000 cx engine harness and a obd1-0bd2b jumper harness. i fired up the engine before and ran it for about an hour. turned it off then that was it. didnt fire since. codes are for the ect and the o2. i thought the engine can run w/out the sensors so im still trying to find spark rather change the sensors first. i changed out the dizzy, ecu, triple checked the wiring. Im not sure about the grounds though. if it is a ground problem are there any extra grounds i could add to fix the problem. all the regular engine grounds are hooked up.

It ran for a hour and when you went back to start it nothing, you say no spark.

Maaaybe it went out of time, is the distributor loose maybe, or maybe running it for an hour it ran out of gas.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 23 2004, 12:36 PM
Maaaybe it went out of time, is the distributor loose maybe, or maybe running it for an hour it ran out of gas.
[post=436394]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I agree with 92B16vx check the timing and gas it sounds like some sort of poor fuel delivery. If it ran then your injectors should be fine and the pump to unless a relay took a dive.

i replaced the dizzy and ecu with one i know works. i checked fuel press, delivery, and level. turns out good. i checked all fuses and relays. after i changed ecu i was still getting the same codes which are for the 02 and ECT. i also checked for power to the dizzy and ecu. All i wann know if these two sensors affect spark. if not then my problem is most likely a grounding problem. ive read somewhere that i should hook up a 4ga grounding wire from the dizzy to the water jacket ground.

Originally posted by bago'ong billy@Dec 23 2004, 04:41 PM
i replaced the dizzy and ecu with one i know works. i checked fuel press, delivery, and level. turns out good. i checked all fuses and relays. after i changed ecu i was still getting the same codes which are for the 02 and ECT. i also checked for power to the dizzy and ecu. All i wann know if these two sensors affect spark. if not then my problem is most likely a grounding problem. ive read somewhere that i should hook up a 4ga grounding wire from the dizzy to the water jacket ground.
[post=436476]Quoted post[/post]​

no those two sensors do not effect your spark i was running my swap with on second o2 sensor but i had my ect hooked up and it sparked just fine it could be a number of things but check your timing! answer this does your engine turn when you crank it? maybe we can go from there

is your timing belt tight? and is it in timing? put the engine at TDC and put the dizzy right in the middle and see what happens from there, is your spark plug cables fully plugged in? and is it in the right order?

You put the engine in, did all wiring, and it started once and ran for an hour, right? You're are getting power to the dist, right? The battery isnt dead is it, and there's enouhg fuel correct?

Im just double checking everything that was said. I guess check all grounds.

Grounds can do that, but the thing is it started and ran already. What did yo do inbetween turning it off, and then trying to restart it?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 24 2004, 05:49 AM
Grounds can do that, but the thing is it started and ran already. What did yo do inbetween turning it off, and then trying to restart it?
[post=436732]Quoted post[/post]​

You are over looking something, are the plugs any good, when it ran for that hour was it extremly rich.

No, you are overlooking something haha, retrace your steps after yuou had it running. It can run rich, that's fine if not normal in a motor that hasn't run in a while.

yes it ran once for an hour. turned it off, then went to dinner. came back, turned it on and ran it again. I actually fired it up twice. Ran perfectly fine. I did nothing in between those times. then turned it off for the night. came back next morning then that was it. NO SPARK. It is an obd2 car but the wiring harness of the cx dizzy clips fit right up to the obd1 gsr dizzy harness so i am using the obd1 distributor and obd2b harness. I remember trying to fire it up for the very first time and i had the firing order wrong so i was backfiring like a mutha fucka. but after i got it right it sparked up fine. now im wondering if that had any effect to the dizzy. anyways, a friend of mine found me a 2000 civic si wiring harness and dizzy so now i will have no questions about wiring. This will be the third dizzy i will try on this engine. I will keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks for the input. Oh yeah, if anyone has extra toughts on extra grounds i can put in, please let me know. Thanx.

Originally posted by bago'ong billy@Dec 25 2004, 12:03 AM
yes it ran once for an hour. turned it off, then went to dinner. came back, turned it on and ran it again. I actually fired it up twice. Ran perfectly fine. I did nothing in between those times. then turned it off for the night. came back next morning then that was it. NO SPARK. It is an obd2 car but the wiring harness of the cx dizzy clips fit right up to the obd1 gsr dizzy harness so i am using the obd1 distributor and obd2b harness. I remember trying to fire it up for the very first time and i had the firing order wrong so i was backfiring like a mutha fucka. but after i got it right it sparked up fine. now im wondering if that had any effect to the dizzy. anyways, a friend of mine found me a 2000 civic si wiring harness and dizzy so now i will have no questions about wiring. This will be the third dizzy i will try on this engine. I will keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks for the input. Oh yeah, if anyone has extra toughts on extra grounds i can put in, please let me know. Thanx.
[post=436945]Quoted post[/post]​

yes there is a problem, why are you going to use the wiring harness from the si? there is no need to if your car started with your wiring harness then it is good, how is it that you have an obd1 dizzy running on your obd2b car? that could be your problem right there! change the dizzy put it in the right order and see if it starts from there. your wiring harness is the same exact thing from the one you got from the si there is no need to get a new harness sell it on ebay just change the dizzy and go from there

i had the same problem but this happend months after swap. i was driving all day then i was idling in my drivway for like 10 min and the it just shut off. after checking everything over like 4 times we couldnt figure it out so we started changing out parts. first the coil still no good so we said fuck it and rebuild the whole dizz. still no good changed fuses and spark plugs finally got that bitch to start. so check all that shit change it all out if you cant find the prob.

is it possible to take your alt of and bring to the shop or advance auto or auto zone to have them check to see if it is working right and take your battery there to see if it works or not!

Back