Several Mini-me Swap Problems... One Cause?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

oakley2002@cox.net

Hi everyone,

My friends and I tried to do a mini-me swap on my d15b7 Del Sol a month ago. I haven't had time to mess with it so it's just been sitting there until summer break, and now that's here. There are several problems...

1. Surging idle, 2500 to 500 over and over
2. A LOT of white smoke (coolant)
3. When you turn off the car it sounds like pebbles are bouncing around.
4. Today I took out the spark plugs and saw two things:
a. Oil on the thread of the plugs
b. You can see the smoke coming out of cylinder 3, and also some from cylinder 4.

I've tried everything, two different head gaskets, I bought ARP head studs, etc. We've done this swap three times with the same problems.

I'm taking the head off to be inspected for cracks/warpage. I already know there are several things missing that seem unrelated to the burning coolant, so I didn't purchase them as I ran out of spare $. Maybe these would have an effect. For example, I don't have the fuel evap purge control thing on the intake manifold. (the thing to connect the hose to snapped). I also don't have the VTEC ecu yet. My radiator is also almost gone. I will get all of these, but I just want to fix the coolant problem first. If these could be conneted to that please let me know! I think the fuel evap control could be the problem with the surging idle.

Now the big question... I haven't heard of anyone that had to use a hose splitter when doing this swap... d15b7 to d16z6 head. I however did... this could be my problem right there. If you didnt' use a splitter, how did you know where everything connected to? I missed something...

THANK YOU!!!

I had an extra coolant hose somehow, so two hoses pumping coolant were connected using a splitter to one hole... I forgot which now. I've never heard of that before... so I'm guessing there were hoses mixed up somewhere and most likely one was forgotten.

Another thing we found when taking the head off was the intake manifold was missing a bolt near where the coolant flows... how strong is the intake when sucking up air? It may be possible for there to be a space between the head and intake manifold which lets coolant drip, and the intake manifold is just sucking it up. I have really high compression, so it's either something like that not having to do with the seal, or the head is cracked in a place that wouldnt' effect compression.

yes, mine used to have the white smoke and idle problems. it also used to JERK when you put your foot on the gas...soo uncomfortable...just do d16z6 or d16y8 swaps. even though the blocks are remotely THE SAME thing...forget that

Back