shady mechanic, need advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
So a week before my water pump went out on the S14 a friend of mine's water pump went out as well. I declined to fix it as I'd never changed one before lol, guess that excuse flew out the window, damn karma

anyways

she has it changed at this mechanics shop in a one horse town "Billybobs auto shop" or whatever.

Then she calls me Saturday, her car is overheating... I drive out to where she is and sure enough, it's leaking coolant.

I didn't bother to do much troubleshooting, it was a slow leak (took nearly two weeks to drain the system) so I reserviced the radiator and told her to take it back to them on Monday.

She just got ahold of me, the shop says it's the radiator and it needs to be replaced.... for $300. Seems a bit shady if you ask me. I know my Chilton's gives specific warnings on taking care to not damage the radiator during the Waterpump R2

alright what do you guys think she should do?

I would do the following, on my own time:

Look at the front of the motor, look at the radiator. Track down this leak once and for all.

Measure the pressure behind the radiator cap (Swap your cap onto the radiator) (I have a tool for radiator pressure)

You may find that she has a blown head gasket.

nope, I just asked her about it and I guess it was leaking before, it's just worse now

dumb girls

lock her up B! (this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back