Shark Attack

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the odds are in your favor.

Of the 100 plus shark attacks worldwide each year, about one-third to half are attributed to great whites. Most of the attacks are not fatal.

yea, but apparently seals and sea lions have been beaching themselves nearby for a while, which is a sign of something big in the water. Also a young great white washed up on shore a couple weeks ago.

I'd rather not risk it for a couple more weeks.

:werd: losing an arm or a leg or dying would suck ass.

I can't surf alone, shadows and my imagination get the best of me. I can be the only shortboarder if there are longboarders further out though.

I know what you mean man. I freak when I get about 400yards off shore if I'm alone. Especially if its still semi-shallow.

damn.. i used to swim out past the waves at Scripps, not even a board.. never doing that again.. dolphins would swim up next to us.. crazy shit

Yea, I've had dolphins within 2 or 3 yards of me at IB. Last summer I was down there almost everyday and would see the same pod of dolphins. When I would be out really early or right before dark, the shadows in the water would start to mess w/ my head. That place is really sharky since it's right by the the rivermouth for the TJ river and they eat all that nasty trash and stuff.

i felt really comfortable with the dolphins around.. i've heard dolphins will protect you from a shark, but not sure if its really true

dolphins and sharks are mortal enemies. They will protect themselves and humans (occasionally) if sharks are around.

Yea, I'm not scared of them, but the first few times you see that fin pop up out of the water, it makes your heart skip a beat. It's also a little worrying when you are paddling out and go to duck dive, and see one of those dolphins riding a wave right towards you.

I like surfing in New Jersey when it comes to sharks. Plenty of boards in that cold water makes me feel better, haha.

landshark_sightings.gif

Back